Philips Patented UCD "My 6Ch Car Amp"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

I recently showed my Philips patented or Bruno Putzey's based 6Ch Car amplifier on Eva's thread( http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=111566&perpage=25&pagenumber=2) Post 29.

At first I would like to say I will not give a shematic or layout this is a known amplifier and one can reach the shematic with a bit searching.

Today I get some measurements.

Here is the low side mosfet G-S photo. As Eva said before she is right and my L mosfet gate signal is not good as I expect. These "IRFP250N or 150N" are heavy mosfet to drive with this discerete driver. But I think it is possible to improve this signal better then now and I need your advice.

My amplifier runs cool. It is now supplied with un regulated (no FB) 12V to 75V smps(~+/- 37V). It gives 75W/Ch RMS on to 5ohms resistive load before the output sine wave saturated. Ah....input signal 2V rms un balanced 1KHz. I had a look to supply lines and saw some 200mV pk to pk ripple. But the output signall is very clean squarewave.

All comments are welcome.

Regards

Ps: The scope is Tektronix 60MHz 1G/s. Signal source Wavetec 1MHz signal generator. Output residual signal on idle 500mV pk to pk 424kHz.

Attachments

• resim(48).jpg
    resim(48).jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 769
Ouch, the cycle ends and the gate hasn't had enough time to charge :xeye:

But if you really want to check wether waveforms are good or not, try connecting a big 5 to 10 ohm dummy load between the output and each supply rail. You have to connect it after the circuit has started oscillating. This is a basic test setup for body diode hard swiching. Such a test is required because things change a lot when output current increases and the amplifier is no longer working in resonant mode... Then all layout resonances arise... :D

Eva said:
Ouch, the cycle ends and the gate hasn't had enough time to charge :xeye:

But if you really want to check wether waveforms are good or not, try connecting a big 5 to 10 ohm dummy load between the output and each supply rail. You have to connect it after the circuit has started oscillating. This is a basic test setup for body diode hard swiching. Such a test is required because things change a lot when output current increases and the amplifier is no longer working in resonant mode... Then all layout resonances arise... :D

I see what you mean and will try but a bit later. As you know I can not leave much far from home now. However all my test was done with an dummy 5R 200W resistor from audio autput to GND. I think only cahnging the output mosfets to TO220 IRF540Z will put these out. But I would not want to do this. I will try Zetex FZT619 or NXP PBSS5240T for fast shut of Mosfets. I am using only BC807-40 with a 470R B-C resistor( in normal application it is 1K with PBSS5140T). Is not this 470R a bit big load for opening transistor? Which is also a BC807-40 with 390R B-E resistor.

Regards

luka said:
Hi Whortless

I just love this multi channel amp, gate signals could be better... hope that you will look into this... Now for my request: Could you send me some Hi-Res pic of this amp, bottom and other side, I just love how you did all channel on one board + used SMDs.

Phostos goes to your e-mail.

Regards

Ah Sorry I have forgotten to say all the amplifiers can be sync to a good 424Khz sw frequency( self osc 325 to 375kHz).

Here is the out put waveform.

And so sorry for low resolution they are from my cellphone. I have forgotten to take my camera while going to the audio lab.

Attachments

• resim(45).jpg
    resim(45).jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 714
Improvements, Help needed!

Dear All,

I made the above amplifier ~1 year ago and could not find some time to correct its gate wave froms. I know that there are several amplifiers and many similar applications submitted here. But I was unable to follow the discussions because of very hard works on chemistry.

Anyway I have bought an osciloscope( Rigol DS1022 CD) recently and start to work on this amplifier.

I made some improvements to achieve the correct on/off of output mosfets (IRFP150N). I know the old IRFP150N is a very heavy mosfet to achieve good switching. First I replaced the Mosfet driver to BC807-100 (Q8 and Q10) and the shut off transistor to PBSST5240T (Q9&11)on the enclosed shematic. And I obtained the enclosed mosfet gate wave forms.

Attachments

• small_ucd.pdf
    45.5 KB · Views: 187
But, I could not find a solution to fast shut of the high side mosfet.
The photo below shows the L (yellow)and H mosfet gate waveforms. I could not remove the peak before the real open signal of L gate. I tried nearly everyting. Also replaced the mosfets into IRF540N.

All comments are welcome.

Attachments

• l&h.jpg
    l&h.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 411
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.