Bryston first digital amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm not a betting man, but even I would put money on those being Hypex OEM modules!
And if they are, it's good to know that mounting then so close to each other probably doesn't cause any problems with free running oscillator interference, because I'm just about to try the same thing!!

Workhorse said:
I think its not a Class-D amp, its a simple Class-AB amp with CE output stage

here is he schematic link

http://bryston.ca/BrystonSite05/pdfs/OtherPowerAmplifiers/875B-SCHEMATICS-2003-12.pdf

And the product link

http://bryston.ca/875z_m.html
That is not the same amp. Note the huge heatsink area on the top of the 875Z, which is clearly not included in the image linked to by Islander.

I find it a bit funny seeing this, as it reminds me of this atrocity from a while back. I couldn't believe that words could be taken so far out of context until I read that. I guess the article writer for the Bryston website may want to converse a little more with the engineers...

Well, this Bryston 875 has an exception when it comes to warranty; 5 years only.

My guess, as they are using UcD, they want to cover their a**es if Hypex would cease to exist - because they can't replace/repair it at that moment?

Bryston doesn't offer the 20 year warranty on anything except the "B" series amplifiers and associated preamps. It's five on CD players, for example.

Even then, though, the "20 Year Warranty" is really just the marketing department catching up with the engineering department. Long before there was an official 20 year warranty, Bryston fixed everything for free anyway long after the warranty expired. Just the way they are. I've had them return amps to me that were purchased in the 1970's, fixed, no charge.

If they have the parts or can get them, they'll fix anything they've ever sold via an authorized dealer, and if there's no indication of abuse, you'll be happy with the bill.

Bryston is not averse nor unaware of Class D amplification; they don't need to hide anything so I don't understand the implication that they are; they are very forthright about everything, generally. They distribute PMC products in North America (mostly to recording studios) and that line includes Class D amplifiers.

Last edited:
Very interesting find!
Do i (hopefully) see more and more Hypex-based amplifiers coming up?
On a little side-note i recently purchased this little baby:

Box Design by Pro-Ject Audio Systems

which has two UCD 180 OEM build in and sounds fantastic. There is also another version with monoblocks (but also a bit pricey).

Box Design by Pro-Ject Audio Systems

I actually wanted to start a new thread for this amp to get some ideas for modifications.

Bryston was showing a Class D amp at 2007 CES. The gentleman I talked to indicated that these were for installations requiring a quantity of amps (multi-zone A/V) at a reasonable cost. It's not like they are abandoning their traditional amplifier designs/topologies.

Well, this Bryston 875 has an exception when it comes to warranty; 5 years only.

My guess, as they are using UcD, they want to cover their a**es if Hypex would cease to exist - because they can't replace/repair it at that moment?

The Bryston website says it has a 20 year warranty:

Bryston Limited - Music For A Generation

The 875's a Class AB amplifier, schematics dated september 2003.

Bryston had announced a Class D multichannel amp more than two years ago, but they're nowhere to be seen on Bryston's site.

The Digital amps are designated "D"; ie the D-250Z was announced and shown at CES in January 2008 (250W x 8). At the time they said it would only have a 5-year warranty. That is the model the OP's photo is showing. Outwardly it looks like the zone amps you can find at Bryston dotcom, but it's not the same. And you can't buy one.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.