The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

Ok, i had a problem with distortion and the music cutting for 1 second then playing for 1 second on max volume but it solved when i redid the whole wiring in the middlecompartment not inside the speaker box ofc.. Might have been a contact issue

Ok thx.

Gonna check with a 12V today straight from the power grid, and gonna check every wire connection.

Did you replace the cables or just made sure they were properply fitted?

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
My original idea was to have an old phone with tracking in it.. But that doesn't stop them from just getting the phone and the speaker.. Like if we're off for a concert and they get just away from the festival area it's really ****** for us as noone will be in the condition to drive.. And then they got a phone and a speaker.. Thinking that some kind of way to nail it down and make it as hard as possible to steal would be better.. And some kind of accelerometer alarm maybe!

Hi everyone,
until now I've been a silent reader taking in all the wisdom present in this biblical Boominator thread. I'd been reading, ordering parts, planning and building. There is a mention somewhere by Saturnus, that everyone is free to non-commercially use Boominator design with one condition - you shall share your results here (or did I make it up? dunno).

My story revolves around supplying music and joy for Critical Mass bicycle rides in Brno, Czech. I was inspired by DIY soundsystems I saw during Critical Masses in Bratislava and Vienna and decided to build one too. Some years ago I built a first one, and this year a friend of mine introduced me to Boominator. Well, it took me not long to decide to build a Cycle-Boominator.

The design is same and different. The cabinets are 100% true to the HP10(A) version (well, except for the now discontinued Motorola tweeters, right...). Huge thanks to aterren for providing Boominator digest and creating a matrix of different Boominator versions!
However there are two independent cabinets, not a single long cabinet containing all drivers. Perhaps they are two halfinators with exception there is no electronics or battery in any of them.

The reason for different configuration is to have a system, which can be easily mounted on any rear rack of a bicycle. You will understand what I mean from the photos. The electronics are a bit different too - there is a Sure amp TPA3116, there is a gel battery too. These are the parts from the previous system.

Anyway - sound is clear, loud and great, and the configuration of the speakers (a pair of drivers facing towards, another pair facing backwards) is perfect for Critical Mass, since it is a long and rather thin crowd of people on bicycles.

I've covered all the process from planning through building in a dedicated blog - https://cyklosoundsystem.tumblr.com/ . It is written in Czech, however I believe that Google Translator using that new ***-kicking artificial neural networks renders language barriers insignificant.

Many thanks to all who contributed in this thread, and especially to Saturnus, who gave Boominator to a world.

Cycle-Boominator in action - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFdoZM3gZvY

35483721666_9ce9c2f759_k.jpg

35355641932_cd251d91ea_k.jpg

34681581344_ba553b8a4c_k.jpg

35355642162_d8481c3b71_k.jpg

Hi everyone,
until now I've been a silent reader taking in all the wisdom present in this biblical Boominator thread. I'd been reading, ordering parts, planning and building. There is a mention somewhere by Saturnus, that everyone is free to non-commercially use Boominator design with one condition - you shall share your results here (or did I make it up? dunno).

My story revolves around supplying music and joy for Critical Mass bicycle rides in Brno, Czech. I was inspired by DIY soundsystems I saw during Critical Masses in Bratislava and Vienna and decided to build one too. Some years ago I built a first one, and this year a friend of mine introduced me to Boominator. Well, it took me not long to decide to build a Cycle-Boominator.

The design is same and different. The cabinets are 100% true to the HP10(A) version (well, except for the now discontinued Motorola tweeters, right...). Huge thanks to aterren for providing Boominator digest and creating a matrix of different Boominator versions!
However there are two independent cabinets, not a single long cabinet containing all drivers. Perhaps they are two halfinators with exception there is no electronics or battery in any of them.

The reason for different configuration is to have a system, which can be easily mounted on any rear rack of a bicycle. You will understand what I mean from the photos. The electronics are a bit different too - there is a Sure amp TPA3116, there is a gel battery too. These are the parts from the previous system.

Anyway - sound is clear, loud and great, and the configuration of the speakers (a pair of drivers facing towards, another pair facing backwards) is perfect for Critical Mass, since it is a long and rather thin crowd of people on bicycles.

I've covered all the process from planning through building in a dedicated blog - https://cyklosoundsystem.tumblr.com/ . It is written in Czech, however I believe that Google Translator using that new ***-kicking artificial neural networks renders language barriers insignificant.

Many thanks to all who contributed in this thread, and especially to Saturnus, who gave Boominator to a world.

Video of Cycle-Boominator in action - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFdoZM3gZvY

35483721666_9ce9c2f759_k.jpg

35355641932_cd251d91ea_k.jpg

34681581344_ba553b8a4c_k.jpg

35355642162_d8481c3b71_k.jpg

Happy 10 years anniversary!!! ��

Wow, hard to believe it has been that long and I bet Saturnus couldn't have imagined that this thread would have more than 1.6 million views.

Huge thanks to aterren for providing Boominator digest and creating a matrix of different Boominator versions!

My pleasure! Do you have any feedback that would make it more usable? Is there anything that you wished was in the document that was missing?

Boominaor Digest - draft x1.pdf

Last edited:
Folks,
I am planning to do another run of CNC parts and wondered if there are a couple of people interested in flat packs. To the extent I can clean shop of some excess parts that would be nice too. As before, my goal here is not loose money rather than to make money. Fortunately, I have far more efficient ways to make money. :cheers:

General information and price estimates (subject to getting current quotes):
  • USA only. Shipping otherwise will be cost prohibitive.
  • Flatpacks are expected to cost around $350 to $390 and will be made from Phenolic coated ply. I Will also do all the secondary router work to round over baffle, divider, and handle edges. I am also happy to glue up the main section.
  • In the past shipping ran ~$75 and it was no more expensive to ship with the main section build or as a true flat pack. Local pickup in the NY City / Stamford Connecticut area is also welcome.
  • Included will be wood front and rear compartment covers cut from the same phenolic play as the cabinet. This saves a lot of time and effort in building out the control panels.
  • I can also do a group buy on the crossover and grill parts to save folks a bit of money. In the past I actually built and tested the crossovers and I'm open to doing that again.
  • Tweeters - I have ~20 on hand and can give a good price on them too (15 ea).
  • While the offers are not stocked in the USA now, there is a shipment of 12 on their way to the USA. So that will cover my build + 2 more.

Drop me a PM if you are interested. Please do not ask me to share the cad files or g-code. I'm not ready to do that at this time.

Take care and sorry if this is viewed as 'commercial'. I figured if this went into the group buy thread it would never be seen. That said if anyone objects to the discussion here I will create a new thread in the other section.

If you want more information about the last buy you can start reading here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/clas...b-ultimate-party-machine-117.html#post4319881

It seems the picture links to Dropbox may be broken due to their policy changes. You can try this link: CNC Boominator Build

Last edited:
Has anyone experienced sudden distortion from one of their MPT-001/5's?

After this year's festival, one of my Boominator's piezoes is almost playing nothing but distorted, scratchy noise!

At low volume, it's not playing at all, and will distort when the volume reaches a certain threshold.

I'm of course afraid that some of my friends have been pulling the jack plug in and out of their phones, and caused damage to the speaker, but I do not know if this is the case.

Do you think the unit is toasted? Or could it be a simple thing like the resistor being damaged?

Thanks in advance :)

Here's a little video of how it sounds:

Piezo distortion - YouTube

Has anyone experienced sudden distortion from one of their MPT-001/5's?

After this year's festival, one of my Boominator's piezoes is almost playing nothing but distorted, scratchy noise!

At low volume, it's not playing at all, and will distort when the volume reaches a certain threshold.

I'm of course afraid that some of my friends have been pulling the jack plug in and out of their phones, and caused damage to the speaker, but I do not know if this is the case.

Do you think the unit is toasted? Or could it be a simple thing like the resistor being damaged?

Thanks in advance :)

Here's a little video of how it sounds:

Piezo distortion - YouTube

Kind of answered it myself after desoldering the resistor and connecting the piezo directly to an external amp - still heavy distortion :/

BUT I am hoping to be able to replace just the back of it, which holds the tweeter - and managed to get it out last night - now I'm just waiting for the replacement to arrive :)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

My pleasure! Do you have any feedback that would make it more usable? Is there anything that you wished was in the document that was missing?
Boominaor Digest - draft x1.pdf

Hi,
I built the simplest Boominator version there is, and the digest contains extensive detailed information about issues which are related to more advanced builds (and are relevant for more advance builders too). I was just happy to find the versions matrix, which helped me to sort out many instructions from other sources.

Perhaps some demonstrative photos of particular steps (e.g. for preparing piezo tweeter, assembly order...). On the other hand, when there is no complete manual step-by-step available, it is much better adventure :)

Hi,
I built the simplest Boominator version there is, and the digest contains extensive detailed information about issues which are related to more advanced builds (and are relevant for more advance builders too). I was just happy to find the versions matrix, which helped me to sort out many instructions from other sources.

Perhaps some demonstrative photos of particular steps (e.g. for preparing piezo tweeter, assembly order...). On the other hand, when there is no complete manual step-by-step available, it is much better adventure :)

Do you have any links or other sources of info that would be useful? I am happy to include them. I also have some photos from a build that could be included but there is no "one best way" to build the boominator. :)