The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

I didn't round anything but the port (handles), also i forgot rounding the square holes just inside the ports + using too much sealant inside, and nuts and screws and thick cables and just alot of **** to **** the volume up but it still sounds amazing and has good bass!

Good work! sounds good yes? ;) I would not have stressed much about the volume issue. Cables, nuts and bolts will not take up that much volume. alright, its not super tuned, but close enough:D Next time put the speaker grills inside the cabinet. Also, remember to protect your lifepo batteries. Find cheap protection/balancing module on ebay, then you will have a reliable powersource for the years to come.

Finally finished my half' first build

Check it out..... :)

Is the designer still around?, i have some things i think could be improved that i would like his take on.

oh - and this thing CAN PLAY:D:D:D

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 421
  • IMG_3301.JPG
    IMG_3301.JPG
    226 KB · Views: 426
We don't see much (any) of Saturnus. He has spent the past couple of years on commercial efforts. Fortunately he left us with A LOT of information. Why don't you share your ideas with us?

Ah ok

Working on using a methanol fuel cell, but as i was browsing through the loooong post, i found that this was already mentioned some years ago.

Will do some more research - we need to make this thing perpetual :)

Last edited:
Hey all -

I'm mostly finished with my Boominator now. Pretty much just need to sand and paint and figure out the best way to attach the electronics compartment panel cover.

Anyway - I did a sound test and it sounds pretty weak with my cell phone plugged in. I even tried going through a little preamp that my friend had and it gets better, but still not as loud as expected. However, when I use my laptop as the audio source - it gets LOUD!

Is there a certain preamp that is recommended for using with a cell phone as the audio source? (FYI - using a C-AMP as my amp).

jamdog, I noticed the same issue with my build. loud, but not crushingly loud. so, I went on ebay and got an assortment of cheap ne5532-based pre-amp boards to play with.

Definitely makes a big difference-I am using CAMP as well.

This one in there now:

Preamplifier Board 5532 DC Single Power Supply 12V

definitely made a difference.

I also have this one, which includes through holes on board to change out resistors to adjust the overall gain.

I didn't mess with this too much since the first one worked fine.

DC/AC 12v~15v PHILPS NE5532 Audio OP AMP Hi-Fi Preamps Pre-Amplifier Board | eBay

I was using asus nexus 7 tablet and motorola 830 moto E phone as sources.

also, I noted that when using bluetooth dongle as input, that also provided additional gain for the abovementioned sources, so I knew it was a matter of gain, not something else.

And, if you still find volume lacking and you want to mess with that, try another amp with it. I briefly ran my boominator off of a sure 7498 24v amplifier just for fun and it was SICK. crushingly loud. neighbors were screaming from across my back alley within 30 seconds.

not so practical though, since the 24v set up would eat batteries and you'd lose the many features of the CAMP

I think that as a practical matter, the CAMP with pre-amp is best set up.

I'm having a problem with a Boominator that was built back in 2011, using the "original" APM6 from 41.hz

I'm not in possesion of it, but my friend tells me that all four speakers start to distort at high volume.

Is it most likely that this is caused by a semi-broken AMP, or plain simple that the batteries aren't delivering enough current?

Looking to go to Roskilde Festival soon, so I'm up for ordering a new AMP from CanopySound if that's what it takes.

Advice?

Are the batteries from 2011 as well? If so, they might got old with increased series resistance, resulting in bigger voltage drop at high volumes, which, in the end gets you more distortion.

Batteries are new and the sound is clear on low volume.

When you crank up the volume, especially on bass heavy music parts, the speakers "cut's out" as if the AMP isn't able to deliver the necessary output.

Need to test with current from a 12v charger.

If it's the AMP, would a Maxamp 20 be a fast and suitable replacement for the AMP6 ?

~ I briefly ran my boominator off of a sure 7498 24v amplifier just for fun and it was SICK. crushingly loud. neighbors were screaming from across my back alley within 30 seconds.

You should do what I did and put in a pololu 24v boost convertor with a switch to go back to normal 12v.
Did this in my halfinator it's awesome the pololu boost convertor has no electrical niose compared to the cheap ones I brought. It's cool to flip the switch ever now and again :)

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
I believe it's cause they dont get enough voltage/current.. A 24v amp with proper battery would solve it..

I got a question, anyone know what good security you can have for a festival when you are off for concerts? I have a couple of ideas but i would like some great input.. Maybe accelerometer with a noisy alarm could help?

I believe it's cause they dont get enough voltage/current.. A 24v amp with proper battery would solve it..

I got a question, anyone know what good security you can have for a festival when you are off for concerts? I have a couple of ideas but i would like some great input.. Maybe accelerometer with a noisy alarm could help?

But they have been running just fine for the last 6 years, and checked with multiple different batteries.