The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

There is room for both you know. There aren't many handles that are more than about 95mm in height. And since there's 135mm from the port to the top there should be plenty of room for both without having to move the port.

very well then, i think i might just add a simple leather strap as handle, with a discrete paint job. and i think that would do it, well see as the build progresses :)

I tried measuring my boominator today with an app on my phone. It played around 95 db at full volume. That's not nearly enough is it? The only thing I can see as the problem is the amp but I don't know what's wrong.
Option one: You didn't solder different gain resistors on the amp board? No wonder you're having trouble. iPhone is nowhere close to as strong as an 80's CD player that all amplifiers are set for. Internal gain setting is not the same thing as the volume knob. The volume knob won't help until after you solder 2 resistors in the amp board (to crank up the internal gain).

Option two: If you don't want to solder on your amp board (#1 most frequent mod for the T-amp platform) then you could give her a shove with a preamp. Again, you can make a little Cmoy battery powered preamp very easily. Wouldn't it be great if there was a preamp that helps reading?

Option three: Dramatically increase the speaker efficiency.

TK2050 Amps

I've been thinking about replacing our amp6b(To get more power) with an amplifier with a TK2050 chip. I've been looking at hifimediy.com's amps and according to the information I've been able to find, they should be of better quality than the popular Sure TK2050 amps. The fact that the SURE amps isn't passively cooled scares me away from putting them in a littled confined room as in the Boominator.

So I'm thinking about replacing it with an T1-M (Hifimediy T1-M TK2050 9 - 24V), since this can run anything from 9V-24V, so I will be able to switch between 12V and 24V all depending on the amount of power i need.

I would like to able to run this from a 12V battery and therefore need a step-up converter to supply the amp with 24V and these have been recommended to me: DC 12V to 24V 8A 200W Step-up DC-DC Convertor Module | eBay).

That leaves me with three questions:
1. Does anyone have experience with the amps from hifimediy.com? How's the quality?
2. Will the step-up transformer deliver a constant voltage at 24V? There's a note on hifimediy.com that states the following: "note: 24V is max, it is not recommended to run on 24V, except if you are sure the voltage is constant and will not go above )24V".

Box volume and accousitical qualities...

Hey everybody!

Great thread! I love the design, espeacially the magnet to magnet mounting of the drivers, so I want to build one myself with the recommended components. However, I have a question regarding the size of the box and its accoustical qualitites:

Since I want to fit my Boominator on a bike trailer, I cant make it 1m long as reccomendend in the original boominator design (sketchup file).
I also do not need a battery compartment, since I will use an external battery and solar panel (that I also use for other uses, its more practical that way).

So, I have 2 short questions:

- Do I need to seperate the two compartments? (In the original design the battery-box seperates left from right channel)

- Will the accoustical performance stay similar, if I just increase height and keep the volume of the box constant (30l per channel).

I tried to model the box in WinISD, but had some problems. The magnet to magnet mounting is not supported, and I wasnt sure about what tuning frequency to use. If I use a tuning-frequency of 82Hz (I think Saturnus mentioned that somewhere) and a volume of 30l I get a +4dB peak at app. 110Hz... can that be right? Attatched you find a screenshot of the calculations!

Thanks!

Bildschirmfoto%25202012-06-10%2520um%252015.22.57.png

In my opponion you should get another battery to solve this.. One of the points in having the class D amplifier is to have a very efficient power amplifier.. If you add a converter you will introduce losses and even though they state that they are >90% efficient this will foronly be the matter for some given operating point (problably at maximum capacity). During some other operating points the efficiency will for sure be lower. If you by any means have the possibility to add another battery in series, i would go for that :p

Hi guys, I've got a watt/ampere meter and would like to build it into my boominator with an on/off/on switch between 2 functions:

a) See the power consumption at a volume, so I can regulate the volume to lower power consumption if needed.
b) See how many amps the solar panels are delivering.

Unfortunately I'm having issues figuring out the switch wiring. Almost had a little fire today when I created a short. :eek:

So basically I'd like some help on how to wire it? I know it's probably asking a lot, but maybe someone can find the time to help me out?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I've been thinking about replacing our amp6b(To get more power) with an amplifier with a TK2050 chip. I've been looking at hifimediy.com's amps and according to the information I've been able to find, they should be of better quality than the popular Sure TK2050 amps. The fact that the SURE amps isn't passively cooled scares me away from putting them in a littled confined room as in the Boominator.

So I'm thinking about replacing it with an T1-M (Hifimediy T1-M TK2050 9 - 24V), since this can run anything from 9V-24V, so I will be able to switch between 12V and 24V all depending on the amount of power i need.

I would like to able to run this from a 12V battery and therefore need a step-up converter to supply the amp with 24V and these have been recommended to me: DC 12V to 24V 8A 200W Step-up DC-DC Convertor Module | eBay).

That leaves me with three questions:
1. Does anyone have experience with the amps from hifimediy.com? How's the quality?
2. Will the step-up transformer deliver a constant voltage at 24V? There's a note on hifimediy.com that states the following: "note: 24V is max, it is not recommended to run on 24V, except if you are sure the voltage is constant and will not go above )24V".

The Hifimediy amps are fine and I own a few of them.. The downside to them is that their input sens is 1.5v and that is not very fitting for something like an iPod - which will not be able to max out the gain of the amp.

Yes, it will deliver a constant 24v.

Option one:

Option two:

Option three: .

Thank you for the suggestions, but I am just perplexed by the fact that my boominator seems to be playing at a much lower volume than others despite the fact that everything seems to be in order. If its possible to fix it without soldering that is my prefferable choice (I haven't read about anyone else soldering on their Muse TA2020). If not, I'll consider your options.