The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

Also, as I've mentioned before, I've only had good experiences with the S.M.S.L brand (or whatever you may call it). It is sold by a chinese engineer on the ebay shop "Indeed Hifi Lab" (if you search for it on google you'll find a reference to ebay). They are sold as cheap as 30 $. I've never had one fail on me yet. But to be on the safe side, you could just buy the AMP6B. :)

Is there any way to use this panel when we have both 12V and 24V in our Boominator? I mean, we have 2 batteries which is connected either in parallel or series for 12V/24V, but I don't see how we could fit one panel to such a setup. Any ideas? Cause the panels are perfect in price and dimensions!

Oh maybe we could just connect it to the wires going out of the switch when it is set to parallel. That's for 12V which we use during the day. Hmmmm that would be awesome.

Is there any way to use this panel when we have both 12V and 24V in our Boominator? I mean, we have 2 batteries which is connected either in parallel or series for 12V/24V, but I don't see how we could fit one panel to such a setup. Any ideas? Cause the panels are perfect in price and dimensions!

Oh maybe we could just connect it to the wires going out of the switch when it is set to parallel. That's for 12V which we use during the day. Hmmmm that would be awesome.

Exactly what I was thinking. You basically only having it at 24V when the Sun isn't up (or strong enough to make any difference), so the rest of the time when it runs at 12V during the day you can charge the batteries.

I completed my boombox last week and i'm very pleased with it. Positively amazed by the sound quality but I stile have some questions.

Im using the gooldwood speakers and the 2x25w amplifier from sure and the problem is that i don't get especially loud volume. I use 12v batteries and when a wall socket is close enough I use an old laptop charger on 24v. When I'm using the charger i can play much higher then on batteries. This isn't much of a mystery when the amplifier works on up to 32v. Is there any reason to think that AMP6 wile give more "umpf" on 12v then the Sure board? Or do i need 24v (2 batteries in serie) to get more out of my boominator?

Of course I can go with 24v from batteries al the time but i would rather not go this way. So with outer words, is there any amplifier that will give more sound with roughly the same power consumption as the 2x25 Sure board?

I completed my boombox last week and i'm very pleased with it. Positively amazed by the sound quality but I stile have some questions.

Im using the gooldwood speakers and the 2x25w amplifier from sure and the problem is that i don't get especially loud volume. I use 12v batteries and when a wall socket is close enough I use an old laptop charger on 24v. When I'm using the charger i can play much higher then on batteries. This isn't much of a mystery when the amplifier works on up to 32v. Is there any reason to think that AMP6 wile give more "umpf" on 12v then the Sure board? Or do i need 24v (2 batteries in serie) to get more out of my boominator?

Of course I can go with 24v from batteries al the time but i would rather not go this way. So with outer words, is there any amplifier that will give more sound with roughly the same power consumption as the 2x25 Sure board?

Let me get this straight, are you feeding the Sure amp 24v and the amp6 12v and comparing how loud it plays?

Edit: The amp6 can't handle 24v btw :)

Saturnus actually already explained this.

Since power output (wattage) is a function of voltage and current (voltage multiplied with current) you will get higher output using higher voltage and the same current like you do when you are connecting 2 of the same 12 V batteries in series to 24 V.

That's why you can play louder at 24 V.

And as Phaedras says... the AMP6B cannot handle more than 12 V.

I guess you have that 100W Sure board with max. voltage of 32 V? 2x25W with a max. voltage of 32 V sounds a bit strange...

I know this have been up before but I still don't understand exactly have it fits together. I don't have the AMP6 but I do have the 2x25w 32v and 2x15w 12v Sure boards. And because I will need to change a big part of my design to use 24 v from batteries I would rather not go that way.

The 2x25 board gives distortion around 75% volume (iPhone) when on 12 volt batteries but handles 100% fine when connected to 24 volt from the wall socket. This isn't a surprise but however irritating.

So there ise't anything i can do tho get more sound without changing to 24 v (or higher)? This thing for example JBL GTO14001 1500W RMS, Monoblock Grand Touring Series Amplifier wouldn't give me more volume? And now I'm just playing with the thought, this isn't anything I would do or recommend.

EDIT: Its the amp Phaedres linked. kristleifur gave the answer i was looking for.By the way thanks for the quick replies, very appreciated!

Last edited:
I know this have been up before but I still don't understand exactly have it fits together. I don't have the AMP6 but I do have the 2x25w 32v and 2x15w 12v Sure boards. And because I will need to change a big part of my design to use 24 v from batteries I would rather not go that way.

The 2x25 board gives distortion around 75% volume (iPhone) when on 12 volt batteries but handles 100% fine when connected to 24 volt from the wall socket.

So there ise't anything i can do tho get more sound without changing to 24 v (or higher)? This thing for example JBL GTO14001 1500W RMS, Monoblock Grand Touring Series Amplifier wouldn't give me more volume? And now I'm just playing with the thought, this isn't anything I would do.

Have you checked your batteries? They might be discharged since you can't play at full volume.. Or you are using too thin wires for the batteries to deliver enough current to the amp.. If you need to compare 2 supplies, atleast compare 2 of the same voltage, otherwise it's hard to suggest things to try :)

I don't think that this is anything wrong. It works as i should on 12v but I would like to get more volume on this voltage. The batteries are new, charged by a good charger and monitored by a voltmeter. The wires should with good margin service. The board cant handle the load and gives distortion on 12 volt.

I'm starting to understand that what I'm asking fore is, if not, close to impossible.