The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

Saturnus:
We prefer to buy them through an DK or EU dealers, since none of us have ever used such services before, and we wan't to be 100% sure, that we have the speakerunits on time, and preferably atleast 1 week in advance.
This is also caused by the fact that the money spent on this project will be paid by the entire camp, which is why we wan't to be sure, that we have a working stereo when Roskilde starts.

That's why I suggest shopusa.com. They handle customs for you.

The reason packages are sometimes delayed a long time in customs, is that when you just order something from the States or far east, and you don't prepay costums, you are essentially trying to cheat the local customs. They have no obligation to handle your package in any time frame, so you'll be stuck at the very end of the queue.

When you buy through shopusa.com, you prepay customs and then your package is usually not checked by local custom services. And if they are, they have to handle your package in a given timeframe, usually under 2 working days for smaller packages which is why those trying to cheat/not prepaying have to wait so long sometimes.

Depending on the reseller in the States, you will usually have your ordered goods within a week from ordering at the slowest.

Read here for further info (in Danish from Jyllands Posten): http://fpn.dk/penge/article2053053.ece

Last edited:
Heres the simulation of my new ghettoblaster project:

P. Audio WN-8R, Going to put 70Hz highpass filter.:
ghettoblaster2011.png

As a tweeter im going to use Monacor DT-25N:
Neodymium-HiFi-Hochtöner, 80WMAX, 8Ω (DT-25N) bei Trenkenchu & Stadler GbR
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

And the crossover is going to be at 2500Hz:
jakosuodinghettoblaster2.jpg

Img going to use Hifimediy T1 sta510A 2*100W@8ohm amplifier

As a battery i have a selfmade Li-ion 7 cells in series and 5 cells in parallel, but im going to increase it to 8series 6parallel. So i will increase the voltage for the new amplifier and abit more playtime. It weighs 1.8kg at the moment and with new cells at 2.3kg.

DSC01101.jpg

All improvement ideas on the tuning, crossover and other stuff are warmly welcome.

My aim is to get the weight of the blaster under 10kg.

I convinced the other camp members to order through shopUSA, and we made an order for 4 GW-1058 today.

Not i just need confirmation that we are right about the tweeters.

From reading the thread I found these Piezo MPT-001:
| IMG Stage Line 110470 |Piezohorn MPT-001 Hjttaler-enheder Piezo Diskanter

As far as I can see, they have same sensitivity, which should make them play equally load.
And the frequency's should be okay, so would 4 of those be suitable with 4 of the GW-1058?

Alternatively we found these:
Produkt info
Should also fit, but double the price, and lastly these:
https://www.elextra.dk/main.aspx?page=article&artno=H19399
which are lacking specifications.

But after finding the right Piezo's, we should be ready to build, when we get all our parts.

I really hate to aske this and i know that the question have been up before but is it a big no go for the HP-12W? I have a really hard time to get my hand on enything else. It sould work fine in a smalish box, little bigger than the boominator but not much.

any input on this? It would probably not sound crap, just not as good as the original design.

I really hate to aske this and i know that the question have been up before but is it a big no go for the HP-12W? I have a really hard time to get my hand on enything else. It sould work fine in a smalish box, little bigger than the boominator but not much.

any input on this? It would probably not sound crap, just not as good as the original design.

I am no expert, but as previously mentioned, any change in the design of the Boominator can only worsen performance. Picking a 12" driver will require a complete recalculation of the whole cabinet. The Boominator is designed to use 10" drivers, so I would not recommend using the HP-12W. Instead, I recommend looking at the Goldwood GW-1058, which is the only real alternative. It should be in stock in the US, and you can use ShopUsa.com to buy the speakers. If ordering from the US is out of the question, there is the SPA-10PA, but this should be vieved as the last way out. Using the SPA-10PA will require finding new tweeters and will mean worse performance.

Thanks for the replay. I have looked at the Goldwood and the SPA the first one is only in the states like you pointed out and the SPA will be in stock in august. The thing is that im in a bit of a time limit. So will the HP-12W be outer crap or passable? Im not going with the original tweeter, Im going to use 4 horns that will go down to about 2000 hz.

This is very fare from the original design but i hope it will give a I-can-live-with-this result.

On the Roskilde Festival forum there is an answer to your question by Saturnus on page 42.

It'll be a big box

Here's a link to the diagram from winISD. It's a comparison between the original and my unorthodox boominator. As tou can see, the HP-12W has a flatter roll-off. It's tuned around 55 Hz to prevent it from peaking to high around 100 - 130 Hz.

The image: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/59/jmfrelsehp10hp12.png/

Last edited:
I was thinking of buying the Goldwood GW-1058.
4 pieces from the website "parts-express.com"

They can send it to me via FedEx, and the estimated arrival time is the 8th of june.

But is taxes included in the 172$ shipping and handling costs? Or is there going to be any additional fees?

No, and yes. That's why it's advantageous to buy via shopusa.com. Lower shipping costs and constums already included.

I ordered Goldwood GW-1058 from Amazone and shipping from ShopUSA.com. 160 bucks for the speakers and 130 for shipping+taxes. I took shipping by air and I hope there wont be any problems or additional fees. Placed the order yesterday so there will be a couple if days before it arrives.

Is the Goldwood GW-1058 a better choice then the SPA-10PA?

So. I finished the ******.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.