The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

Huh WOW! Nice to see they are making them again!

I'm thinking about using www.shopusa.com since I don't have friends over there. It will be 265kr in total incl. shipping to Denmark.

My only concern is the time it will take. Hard to decide :s

Ok it seems to be 7-10 days from shopusa.com recieves it till I will recieve it. Sounds reasonable.

Last edited:
I'm interested in 4 myself actually. I intend to make an original Boominator and thoughroughly photograph and document the building process in every step, and then selling the instructions in a pdf file for something like $10-15 much like Bill Fitzmaurice.

Naturally anyone can still make their own after all that is described in this thread.

We could, but then I don't know how big the package would be. If it is less than 50x50x50cm then it will be shipped via airmail which is 7-10 days, otherwise it will take a month or more. But my guess is that it will be within those measures.

Hmm. I think we would like to have a package of 10 ourselves for spare parts. Would it be okay for you to buy 10 pieces yourself, or? Or maybe split with someone else in here?

Awesome idea, Saturnus, with the instructions!

Last edited:
I have friends in the States that can send it to me so I'm good.

I'm interested in 4 of those piezo's.. Maybe we could share the shipping cost?

I'll get 10 myself. Maybe post on Roskilde forum if anyone is interested in buying the other half.

It's always a good idea to an extra in case the unfortunate has happened and there's a bad sample among them.

Last edited:

I'll get 10 myself. Maybe post on Roskilde forum if anyone is interested in buying the other half.

It's always a good idea to an extra in case the unfortunate has happened and there's a bad sample among them.

Cool cool, I just setup an account on shopusa and ordered the piezo's myself aswell.. Might aswell get 10 and if i'm done with my new boominator and everything works I can always sell 4 of them and still have 2 spare tweeters :)

Thanks a lot for telling us that they had reappeared on ebay :)

Stereo upgrade

Hi Saturnus - I would lige to buy the last 5, if they're still for sale :)
Think it's time for a upgrade to our old festival-stereo.

Saturnus

I was talking to someone in PM about you using 4x8v solar panels in 2 series pairs in your first Boominator, but I can't recall if there were any problems doing so? You've talked about 12v amorphous panels in most of your posts..

If i hook up 2x8v solar panels in series to 3x7.2Ah SLA's would that be okay even if the panel is rated for 8v but can go up to 9-10? Would a few diodes be necessary to lower the voltage?

Saturnus

I was talking to someone in PM about you using 4x8v solar panels in 2 series pairs in your first Boominator, but I can't recall if there were any problems doing so? You've talked about 12v amorphous panels in most of your posts..

If i hook up 2x8v solar panels in series to 3x7.2Ah SLA's would that be okay even if the panel is rated for 8v but can go up to 9-10? Would a few diodes be necessary to lower the voltage?

There's a difference. Those 8V are open voltage. A "12V" panel has 16-17V in open voltage, so it's the same thing. To have 2 in series. Just remember, it's the open voltage that counts as solar panels are constant current sources so their actual voltage will depend on load.

There's a difference. Those 8V are open voltage. A "12V" panel has 16-17V in open voltage, so it's the same thing. To have 2 in series. Just remember, it's the open voltage that counts as solar panels are constant current sources so their actual voltage will depend on load.

Ahh in the description it does say:

This unit is rated for 8V open voltage and 650mA short circuit. We actually took a random unit outside and measured 9.55V open voltage and 550mA short circuit.

So I guess thats fine then! Awesome..