The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

Does this method on the left also work ok as one battery pack? Because that's how we did it...just want to know if we should redo it?
Batteripakke.png

Last edited:
That's longer than I expected but still in time to make the it before the festival if you get get busy building.

Should be plenty of time for building, since we have all parts but the plywood (which we can get quite easily) and the batteries.

But I don't think we will be going for the Boominator design, since my friends don't think it will fit with the style of camp they wish, so all speakers will be on one side.

But we will figure it out in the following days, with some testing and properly some annoyed neighbors.

We were planning on building something like this, where the base of the case i chosen on the basis on the wagon we are going to use.

Speakers are the Goldwood GW-1058 and these piezo's | IMG Stage Line 110480 |Piezohorn MPT-005 Hjttaler-enheder Piezo Diskanter

The volume of the box is 233,1L minus speakers, amp and batteries.

Any thoughts on how this may do, and if the speakers should have seperate compartments?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Thnx for reminding me about the fuse, will this do? Conrad - online shop för teknik, elektronik och innovativa idéer ? And what fuse should i go with, 30A (brobably a dumb question, but ive never done this before)? Also i have a question about On/Off switch, if i want to charge the battery should i put the switch between solarpanel/regulator or regulator/battery? I already have a On/Off switch between Amp/battery.

Thnx for reminding me about the fuse, will this do? Conrad - online shop för teknik, elektronik och innovativa idéer ? And what fuse should i go with, 30A (brobably a dumb question, but ive never done this before)? Also i have a question about On/Off switch, if i want to charge the battery should i put the switch between solarpanel/regulator or regulator/battery? I already have a On/Off switch between Amp/battery.

Wrong link, heres the right one BILSÄKRINGSH.LLARE 30 A 32 V DC DC KABEL i Conrad online shop ? And by charging i mean with a regular charger. Thnx in advance for any answer.

Hey

Hey,
You know the story. I also would like to build an boombox, guess Boominator design is great although i need it a bit for another purpose. I am DJ and i usually have small parties with friends around the beach so i need to be able to use my laptop and mixer so maybe i need a way to fix it on the boominator. I haven't thought about the design yet.

If you are curios this is what i have :
http://www.m-audio.com/images/global/product_pics/big/torq_xponent_v2008.jpg
This freaking mixer uses 7.5W on 12V !!. It's almost the double of the power consumtion of amp6basic. Oh well...

I also have an Macbook Pro.

Right to business :

1. Where can i get the P.Audio HP10W ? Can you recommend another woofer ? Same quality ? If not then i rather wait if it's not in stock ?
2. I have managed to get my hands on 2 brand new 6600mAh / 98Wh Lithium-Ion batteries which i intend to use. Any ideas on these ?
3. I intend to buy a solarpanel in Germany or Sweden as many of you have recommended. I hope to find an 20W panel. I might also buy an charge controller but that depends if i feel i might overcharge batteries or not.
4. I won't even ask about amp :) It's already ordered (amp6basic)

donnib

I was just charging my paralleled batteries this morning. After 4-5 hours of charging they are at 100 % according to my charger. As I removed the charger from I suddenly noticed a bubbling noise coming from the batteries. They were slightly warm on the sides when I touched them. Is it the acid inside boiling or what? Is it dangerous?

It's like a little bubbly noise and it was definately coming from the batteries.

1. Where can i get the P.Audio HP10W ? Can you recommend another woofer ? Same quality ? If not then i rather wait if it's not in stock ?

Against all odds, I have managed to get hold of 4 HP-10W's from the site Unbenanntes Dokument before Roskilde Festival. You should order from there, really great service. I believe they got a shipment home last week - I do not know how many they ordered, but I suggest you try and email them.

2. I have managed to get my hands on 2 brand new 6600mAh / 98Wh Lithium-Ion batteries which i intend to use. Any ideas on these ?

These sound good. I suggest you parallel them if you are only using 12V (I assume they are 12V batteries).

I was just charging my paralleled batteries this morning. After 4-5 hours of charging they are at 100 % according to my charger. As I removed the charger from I suddenly noticed a bubbling noise coming from the batteries. They were slightly warm on the sides when I touched them. Is it the acid inside boiling or what? Is it dangerous?

It's like a little bubbly noise and it was definately coming from the batteries.

As far as I remember, batteries emit hydrogen and oxygen when charging. I assume that is the "bubbly sound" you could hear. It is very important that batteries are well-ventilated when charging, else hydrogen can build up and explode.

It is natural that batteries get hot when charging. If they get so hot you cannot touch them, you should turn them off. Too much heat can damage the plates inside the battery and if the battery is extremely hot there is danger of explosion. But since you could touch it without burning your hand, I guess it is fine.

Sounds like your charger might be on the big side. But at least the emergency air pressure valve worked, so no harm done.

Against all odds, I have managed to get hold of 4 HP-10W's from the site Unbenanntes Dokument before Roskilde Festival. You should order from there, really great service. I believe they got a shipment home last week - I do not know how many they ordered, but I suggest you try and email them.

These sound good. I suggest you parallel them if you are only using 12V (I assume they are 12V batteries).

Thank you very much. Will give them a call today before i place order. I can see different models of HP-10W. Do u know what the difference are?

My charger was bought in T-hansen last year. It's chinese engineering (very bad english spelling). It says 6 AMP on the side, but the T-hansen guy told me that it would turn off at max and that it would turn down the intensity if the battery was of the smaller kind.

So I guess a 6 AMP charger is on the big side.

But charging them with solar power at 5W is okay to do in a closed or partly closed container or?

My charger was bought in T-hansen last year. It's chinese engineering (very bad english spelling). It says 6 AMP on the side, but the T-hansen guy told me that it would turn off at max and that it would turn down the intensity if the battery was of the smaller kind.

So I guess a 6 AMP charger is on the big side.

But charging them with solar power at 5W is okay to do in a closed or partly closed container or?

How big are the batteries again. Remember, max A rating of charger =< Ah rating of battery / 5