The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

I'm gonna build a stereo using the Monacor 4" drivers. Just to test out how the sound is gonna come out of it and how loud it will actually play. The I'm probably gonna sell it for material price afterwards and let you know how good it is compared to the boominator. Of course it's gonna be a lot cheaper than the boominator :)

I have 2 questions though for you Mr. Saturnus (or anyone who might want to add something):

1. On this datasheet page the SP-60/4 has a recommended vented box volume of 11,9 litres using this BR-HP50 tube with a diameter of 43 mm and a length of 110 mm. Is it possible (like the boominator) to tweak it in WinISD to get a smaller volume. I remember that the boominator doesn't have a smooth rolloff downward but an increase of 3-4 dB around 100-200 hz, right? Should the same be done with this box?

2. Secondly - I see that this drivers goes up to 8.000 hz. So this would mean that a crossover and a piezo around 90 dB/w SPL?

Here's the datasheet just copypasta'd in:

recommended cabinet 1:
closed cabinet with 2,9 L volume
from 107/68 Hz (-3dB/-8dB)

recommended cabinet 2:
11,9 L volume bass reflex cabinet
with HP50 reflex tube, 11 cm long.
from 50/42 Hz (-3dB/-8dB).
[SIZE=+1]SP-60/4 [/SIZE]order no. mo-100730 EUR 15,50
10 cm bass driver with high quality cone. To avoid compression effects the driver possesses a pole piece hole.
  • power handling (continuous/programme) = 30/60 W
  • frequency range = f3-8000 Hz
  • resonance frequency fs = 65 Hz
  • impedance R = 8 Ohm
  • sound pressure level SPL = 90 dB (2,83V; 1m)
  • DC resistance Re = 3,3 Ohm
  • force factor BL = 2,9 N/A
  • voice coil inductance L = 0,2 mH
  • effective piston radiating area Sd = 55 cm2
  • effective mechanical mass incl. air load 4 g
  • equivalent volume of compliance Vas = 6 l
  • total Q factor Qts = 0,49 (Qms=2,1, Qes=0,64)
  • voice coil diameter = 25,5 mm
  • mounting diameter d = 96 mm
  • overall diameter d = 105 mm
  • mounting depth (not countersunk) t = 60 mm
  • mass m = 0,9 kg

Thanks Saturnus. I'm gonna take a look at it (or try to find it)

Also: Here's what I made earlier this year. It's not calculated or anything so sound isn't optimal but there's still sound coming out of it and it sounds better than a store bought boombox. Weighs 4,5 kg with everything inside, using a 3,2 Ah battery. Perfect for park use in Copenhagen :)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hey guys

Gotta say, i'm amazed by the boominaters from these posts. They look awesome! We hope to accomplish something equally cool in a couple of months :)

As mentioned our festival camp also has a soundsystem being built for Roskilde Festival 2011 - where most of you guys are bringing yours as well - and in our research we thought - there's not really a place on the web for discussing "Festival Soundsystems" in general. The closest i've come is here at DIY, but this is still very broad.

The priorities in a festival stereo is alot different from at normal stereo at home, so I was wondering if any of you would be interested in using a forum specifically for festival stereos? I can't offer you any help on projects, since you all know much much more than I (or any from my camp, for that matter) do, but in it's young 4 days, since launch, our forum already have some posts on it, and we don't feel quite "skilled" enough to answer them thoroughly. So here's the actual request. Some of you guys help out answering some stuff in there? -For now the forum is in Danish, but if you'd rather have it in english it could be arranged :)

Let me know if the idea is rubbish also - and thanks for any replies :)

Festival Anlg Forum

Let's hope I make it this time ;)

Yeah, if I went with the drivers paralleled I was thinking about summing the L&R. Could you clarify what "op-amp based active XO" means? When using the HP10W and piezos I won't really need a crossover right? Or do you mean when I sum the L&R? Something like this maybe?
Please excuse my late reply, but better late than never as they say! :)

Here is a nice example of a op-amp based active XO (Crossover):

Linkwitz-Riley Electronic Crossover
Also take a look at this to understanding the benefits of an active XO - BiAmp (Bi-Amplification - Not Quite Magic, But Close) - Part 1

I totally forgot about using a piezo tweeter however, so you'll probably still need some sort of low pass filter on the piezo just to be on the safe side.

Summing can also be done on the active XO circuit if needed. I think summing the L&R channels would be a good idea with a half boominator configuration really, but not essential. :)

So

It's time for my first stab at a boominator!

Could any one of you more knowledgable guys give me the all clear for the following stuff:

4x HP10W speakers (I already have these).
4x Cerwin Vega tweeters - yes I know they are not the ones recommended by Saturnus, but I have them lying around here in my room and figured I might as well use them.
1x AMP9-Basic
2x solar panels in series Solar Cell Huge - 5.2W - Solar - Components - All you need to prototype
3 or 4x 7,2 Ah SLA batteries.

Other than that, I would need a battery charger?

I might have to make the Boominator a little longer for it to fit 4 batteries, but I would make sure to keep the speaker compartments the same size.

Also, I was thinking of adding the straps from an old hiking rucksack of mine = wearable Boominator :D

Can any one of you fault my plans here?

Damn. Didn't see that the HP-10W were out of stock at intertechnik.de :(

and all the pages listed before doesn't say if the item is in stock, or not...

Don't want to order again, and then get an email saying they're out of stock!

What about these drivers from Disconetto?
Disconetto

Not perfect, but will they do? :)

hobbyhifiladen.de just shipped my speakers yesterday. I got this message from them two days ago:
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Dear Mr ******,

we received a new bunch of P.Audio chassis today. Your order will processed immediately, but it will still take this day until it is ready for shipment. As soon as the parcel has been shipped, you will be informed about via email.
[/FONT]"

So

It's time for my first stab at a boominator!

Could any one of you more knowledgable guys give me the all clear for the following stuff:

4x HP10W speakers (I already have these).
4x Cerwin Vega tweeters - yes I know they are not the ones recommended by Saturnus, but I have them lying around here in my room and figured I might as well use them.
1x AMP9-Basic
2x solar panels in series Solar Cell Huge - 5.2W - Solar - Components - All you need to prototype
3 or 4x 7,2 Ah SLA batteries.

Other than that, I would need a battery charger?

I might have to make the Boominator a little longer for it to fit 4 batteries, but I would make sure to keep the speaker compartments the same size.

Also, I was thinking of adding the straps from an old hiking rucksack of mine = wearable Boominator :D

Can any one of you fault my plans here?

2 things...

I'm not sure 4 batteries are gonna last if you're using the AMP9 instead of the AMP6. It uses a lot more power. Even... you should have a larger solar panel as well. Wait for saturnus to confirm this.

Also: 26 kilos on your back? You must be kidding...

2 things...

I'm not sure 4 batteries are gonna last if you're using the AMP9 instead of the AMP6. It uses a lot more power. Even... you should have a larger solar panel as well. Wait for saturnus to confirm this.

Also: 26 kilos on your back? You must be kidding...

Okay, I might downgrade to an AMP6 then.

I'm member of the boy scouts. Walking with 20-30 kgs on your back is not an issue.. Also, it would just be for transport - I wouldn't want to walk with it forever.

That's correct. An amp9b has 4 times the output power but also consumes 5 times more power, so a pair of 12V 7Ah's will only last about 8 hours. 2 pairs will naturally last twice a long. That's naturally at full volume but the amp9b while still being a very efficient amp actually consumes almost as much power in idle as the amp6b does at full volume.

That's why I somewhere earlier in this thread recommended that if you want a 24V system with an amp9b (or another class D amp) you should only consider this if you're planning on having large external batteries for a festival, or only need the shorter battery life.

Solar panels won't help as much either on a 24V system as you'll need a 24V 20W panel (or 2 12V 20W panels in series) just to keep up with the power consumption. Naturally you can do as many do, and switch to 12V in the periods during the day at a festival where you don't need the full power output, which is typically during daytime anyways.

The amp9b running on 12V will still use twice as much power as the amp6b though, so you're still going to need some rather large solar panels. And large solar panels require large batteries.

And trust me, for most people a standard Boominator will be plenty loud. We are talking about some 112-115dB peak SPL.

Last edited:
Okay, I might downgrade to an AMP6 then.

I'm member of the boy scouts. Walking with 20-30 kgs on your back is not an issue.. Also, it would just be for transport - I wouldn't want to walk with it forever.

It's just because my back is not made for carrying heavy stuff so I personally wouldn't recommend it unless, like you, have some sort of special interest in it. Just wanted you to make sure that it actually weighs a lot (at least in my opinion).

Also: You should probably consider making some sort of soft pad between your back and the boominator then. And make sure the straps you are to put on are capable of handling the weight (includes the fastening of the straps themselves which has to be strong).