Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th August 2019, 01:02 PM   #6741
MorbidFractal is offline MorbidFractal
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by horst303 View Post
Ever looked at a voice coil? specifically the size of the wire? it'll be in the region of 0.05mm˛. Any hookup wire that you use will be thicker than that, and 0.75mm˛ is overkill. the problem with thick wires is that they are heavy and any movement when you carry the speaker will be translated as stress to the joint.

I would not wish to become involved in a Holy War but this is a bit like comparing apples to pears, voice coil wire to hook up wire.

Sorry to mix units but 8 inches of thick wire being heavy compared to a bunch of batteries. Like whut?

As to terminations. If you are soldering directly to speaker terminals pick some wire with a conductor diameter half the width of the terminal and get it on with a meaty soldering iron.

Don't forget to sleeve and support the joint with heatshrink, the type with internal glue, over terminal and extended an inch up the insulation. Then tie-wrap the cables as they exit to the speaker cage. Isolate and dress them for lack of buzz.
Old 3rd September 2019, 03:31 AM   #6742
evilgrin is offline evilgrin
diyAudio Member

I've been lurking on this thread off and on now for the last several years, I finally find my self in a position to attempt to build myself one of these Boominators yet I am finding it extremely difficult to locate the Drivers needed for the build in the US . I have found a useful bit of info in the Boominator Digest unfortunately sourcing the drivers is proving to be quite difficult. Have there been any updates to the driver selection in the last 2 years or so? Or is this simply a matter of being too late to the party?
Old 9th October 2019, 05:15 PM   #6743
Shortrope is offline Shortrope  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Default Minidsp settings??

This is a long shot but does anyone out there have Minidsp settings for a Boominator?
I've just accidentally wiped the Minidsp and I can't find the original file that Saturnus sent me years ago.
I trying to get it ready for the XR demos in Dublin and I don't have time to start from scratch again.
Old 9th October 2019, 05:19 PM   #6744
Turbowatch2 is offline Turbowatch2  Germany
diyAudio Member

If you have a measuring mic, you should be able to do a better file in 2 hours, using Arta, REW or else.
If you match the box to the kind of room you are going to show it in, you might have a winner.
The basic file will only be what it is, basic.
Old 9th October 2019, 05:23 PM   #6745
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbowatch2 View Post
If you have a measuring mic, you should be able to do a better file in 2 hours, using Arta, REW or else.
If you match the box to the kind of room you are going to show it in, you might have a winner.
The basic file will only be what it is, basic.
Thanks man... yeah I could do that I just don't have the time.
Saturnus emailed me the settings for my setup years ago and I was just hoping someone else had them also.
Old 9th October 2019, 08:02 PM   #6746
lutkeveld is offline lutkeveld
diyAudio Member

From my notes:

Tweeter:
Gain: -5.2dB
HP 2302.21hz BW 18dB/oct (must be butterworth or bessel. Cannot be 12 or 24dB/oct)
LP 21120.0hz peaking LR 12dB/oct +4dB peak gain (if it does not have peaking LR filter then make it by having EQ +3dB@20khz)

Woofer:
Gain: 0dB
HP: 63.2132hz LR 48dB/oct
LP: 2171.62hz LR 24dB/oct
Old 9th October 2019, 11:25 PM   #6747
aterren is offline aterren  United States
diyAudio Member

Which version drivers do you have?
Old 10th October 2019, 03:19 AM   #6748
aterren is offline aterren  United States
diyAudio Member

There is a discussion here:
Old 10th October 2019, 07:26 AM   #6749
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aterren View Post
Which version drivers do you have?
HP10s and PHT-407s.
Old 10th October 2019, 07:27 AM   #6750
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutkeveld View Post
From my notes:

Tweeter:
Gain: -5.2dB
HP 2302.21hz BW 18dB/oct (must be butterworth or bessel. Cannot be 12 or 24dB/oct)
LP 21120.0hz peaking LR 12dB/oct +4dB peak gain (if it does not have peaking LR filter then make it by having EQ +3dB@20khz)

Woofer:
Gain: 0dB
HP: 63.2132hz LR 48dB/oct
LP: 2171.62hz LR 24dB/oct
That's a great help...thanks a mill!

The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machineHide this!Advertise here!