Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine
The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st January 2016, 07:50 AM   #6181
lutkeveld is offline lutkeveld
diyAudio Member

*which doubles the current capability. You won't get double the power unless you drop the load impedance. Remember ohms law.
Old 21st January 2016, 01:38 PM   #6182
aterren is offline aterren  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes, at a fixed voltage the current is limited by the load and power = I^2*R in a DC circuit. So if the supply can provide the needed current then increasing the current capability wil have no effect on the used power.

Speakers are complex loads and peak demands are important too. If you compare the data sheet THD vs power graphs in BTL vs PBTL (make sure you use the same supply voltages!) you will see that the THD spike is at roughly double the power output.

In practice, does it matter? I'm not sure it does. We all know the MAX amps work really well in this application at even lower power.
Old 21st January 2016, 01:51 PM   #6183
gmarsh is offline gmarsh  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aterren View Post
You can't go wrong with thee weiners. They really are a top notch implementation of the TPA3116 amp.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group...ml#post4579108
The Wiener card isn't really designed for low power consumption. It's got output snubbers which eat power, OSCONs with significant leakage current, a linear regulator which makes 5V for a microcontroller that runs all the time, no low battery shutdown, and in shutdown mode it still pulls appreciable current.

These things don't matter so much for a home system, but if you're chasing battery life I'd go with a cAMP card instead. Canopy should have those on sale any day now, Viktor predicted yesterday but it wouldn't be the cAMP if it wasn't delayed
Old 21st January 2016, 09:35 PM   #6184
aterren is offline aterren  United States
diyAudio Member

That is a good point. In my case the power consumption is not relevant.
Old 22nd January 2016, 12:32 AM   #6185
Woodman79 is offline Woodman79  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

How would you think the power consumption, sound quality and volume of the cAMP compares to the Amp9?

I guess you would have to run two of them on a signature boominator as they are 2 channel, yes? Is that going to make it impractical from a power consumption perspective?

Also they are 12v only right?
Old 22nd January 2016, 10:30 PM   #6186
Daniel404 is offline Daniel404
diyAudio Member

Hey guys, forgive me if this is a newb question, but would this solar panel be a good fit for a boominator? I'm trying to figure out all of the details of the build before making any decisions.

Sunpower Flexible 20W 18V Solar Panel batterie Charger Cable System with USB | eBay
Old 22nd January 2016, 10:50 PM   #6187
LaserTorsk is offline LaserTorsk  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Am I getting this right? The cAMP has a built in solar charge controller? So It's just a matter of plugging the battery straight into the card and then same for the solar panel and it'll charge while playing?

And how does it compare to the maxamp20 in terms of power consumption?

Like would my boominator last the entire roskilde festival if I had a 7,2ah SLA and a 10-20W amorphous solar panel? (finding these are tricky...)
Old 23rd January 2016, 12:33 AM   #6188
diyAudio Member

Yup. You can hook up a 12V solar panel straight to the cAMP's solar input. Or a 19.5V or 24V DC power supply for charging at home.

I don't know the quiescent current of the Maxamp or Tripath cards, but the cAMP idle current (switched on, no audio input) is under 20mA. I measured it a while ago but can't find the number, and my DMM has a blown current fuse :/
Old 23rd January 2016, 09:54 AM   #6189
lutkeveld is offline lutkeveld
diyAudio Member

MaxAmp pulls about 55mA idle. Tripath depends on the board, but most pull 100mA.
Your Boominator would most likely last the entire festival with normal usage.

How did you implement the signal sensing on the cAMP gmarsh?
Old 23rd January 2016, 02:58 PM   #6190
diyAudio Member

The cAMP doesn't have signal sensing. I tried, but couldn't come up with a threshold that would pass all music and not keep the amp on due to background noise.

20mA is pretty low though, with several aH of battery supplying the thing it'll last a lot of hours if you accidentally leave it switched on.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machineHide this!Advertise here!