The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

Wow

Have people stopped building now they can buy a Soundbocks... In my opinion, a well build Boominator sounds better and is considerable cheaper......

Yeah, but most people probably don't want to mess with all the woodwork and electronics.

Also, the formfactor and weight of the SoundBoks is nicer IMO, and if you would replicate the electronics (DSP, bi-amping, lifepo4 battery) you would probably end up the same cost-wise.

I think there has to be some new design with newer tech to battle the SoundBoks. Some kind of CNC cut enclosure, lithium batteries and an All-In-One PCB (BT, amp, charger, DSP etc).

I agree folks seem to have stopped building and the boominator really sounds great and is PLENTY loud for my needs.

It really seems like we are on an path, in many parts of society, where “building it yourself” is dying a slow death...instant gratification and all....

or simple, economics.. total cost/hours to build vs a calculated hourly wage. So often you have to be doing the building for the sake of it, the enjoyment of it, not to save money (unless are not well off or not working of course....).

I DIY to get products that aren't available commercially.

Hey boys and girls! I haven't been here for a loooong time, but today I saw a review of Soundboks 2 on a Norwegian website. However, they were not impressed with the audio quality. I have not tried the Soundboks, and never heard a full Boominator, but I did build a Boominator mini 4.5 yrs ago (which made me the most popular kid on the playground, for obvious reasons).

Would anyone, (who's tried the Soundboks and the Boominator) care to comment on the claims made that the treble is screechy and bass is lacking on the Soundboks 2? EDIT: Link to review. Google translate for English.

My guess (and hope) is that the reviewers are not competent to make the assessment.
----
I had a full boominator in the works 1.5 yrs ago, but never got to finish it due to travel. However, I'm going home for xmas, and need to kill 2 weeks. Might as well finish the darn thing, seeing as I've done most of the heavy work already. Gallery from spring last year for anyone interested: Boominator - Google Photos

EDIT2: However, I have no idea what the recommended AMP is any longer. I have some TA2020/TA2024/TPA3116 lying around from years ago, but not sure if I should use those or order new.

Last edited:
Hey everybody,
So I finished my build 5 years ago and its still going strong!
mikalo's boominator - Album on Imgur
The only work I've done on it is a battery replacement.
I'd like to refurbish it and am thinking of putting volume control/ preamp in. The reason is that it makes a pop sound between every track that gets played. It's like the amp is turning off and on between every track. It would also be nice to not have to tell everyone to turn their device volume down.

Any hardware suggestions? Bluetooth would be a bonus.

My setup consists of:
Amp6 -
HP-10W Drivers
KSN1001A Tweeters

Nice work Mikalo.

I'm curious, did you glue the wood together in addition to the screws? Also, does your battery meter gauge always stay on? I'm adding a similar piece to mine but adding a push-button switch (PBNO) to the meter, that way it doesn't waste power staying lit all the time, it only comes on when you push the momentary contact switch.

One last thing (maybe this was covered already, but I don't have time to re-read the whole thread!), what kind of caulk was used to seal the speakers to the wood?

Thanks in advance.

Hey everybody,
So I finished my build 5 years ago and its still going strong!
mikalo's boominator - Album on Imgur
The only work I've done on it is a battery replacement.
I'd like to refurbish it and am thinking of putting volume control/ preamp in. The reason is that it makes a pop sound between every track that gets played. It's like the amp is turning off and on between every track. It would also be nice to not have to tell everyone to turn their device volume down.

Any hardware suggestions? Bluetooth would be a bonus.

My setup consists of:
Amp6 -
HP-10W Drivers
KSN1001A Tweeters

this does all you want
Nobsound NS-10G 100W Bluetooth 4.0 Power Amplifier Stereo Hi-Fi Bass Digital Amp | eBay

sounds great, has line in, a usb sound card and bluetooth, being a TPA3116 it takes 24V so has lots of oompf, but will work well well off a 12v battery.
The only issue is that all that utility comes at a price: it sucks 100mA straight off the bat, and when playing at low volume it becomes quite warm, amazingly at high volume it somehow becomes much more efficient and stays cooler,
depending on your needs, this maybe a deal breaker, but as a package I know of no amp that can do all of that in such a compact form.

this does all you want
Nobsound NS-10G 100W Bluetooth 4.0 Power Amplifier Stereo Hi-Fi Bass Digital Amp | eBay

"The only issue is that all that utility comes at a price: it sucks 100mA straight off the bat, and when playing at low volume it becomes quite warm, amazingly at high volume it somehow becomes much more efficient and stays cooler,
depending on your needs, this maybe a deal breaker, but as a package I know of no amp that can do all of that in such a compact form."

Thanks for heads up about high idle current draw... yes, it is a deal breaker. Do you know any brands off hand that have similar characteristics (maybe only 25W x 2) but lower idle current draw?

Nice work Mikalo.

I'm curious, did you glue the wood together in addition to the screws? Also, does your battery meter gauge always stay on? I'm adding a similar piece to mine but adding a push-button switch (PBNO) to the meter, that way it doesn't waste power staying lit all the time, it only comes on when you push the momentary contact switch.

One last thing (maybe this was covered already, but I don't have time to re-read the whole thread!), what kind of caulk was used to seal the speakers to the wood?

Thanks in advance.

Hi sorry about the late reply.
I used a Polyurethane glue for wood to wood. It's ridiculously strong. Wear gloves! And yes I also used screws, this helped pull the box together which was slightly out of alignment.
Yeh my voltmeter always stayed on until I modified it last year to switch off.
That black stuff in the pictures that I used to stick the speakers to the ply was silicone.

Last edited:
Maybe a good time to announce a project that I've been working on for a while.

Can't promise too much because it's still in development, but main specs for now are:
-2x45W class-D amplifier
-Bluetooth V4.2 module
-DSP with 5 biquad filters per channel and options such as psycho acoustic bass enhancement and dynamic range limiting
-Extremely low power consumption
-Onboard microcontroller for tasks as status LEDs and under voltage protection
-Stackable up to 4 channels, so suitable for a active full boominator
-Very small (65x35mm)
-Price <100€
-Manufactured in the Netherlands

Developed with high-performance portable speakers such as the Boominator in mind.

Attachments

• 26361749_321337475030486_3171406767649193984_n.jpg
    26361749_321337475030486_3171406767649193984_n.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 385
  • IMG_20180125_132233.jpg
    IMG_20180125_132233.jpg
    635.6 KB · Views: 372
  • IMG_20180125_132226.jpg
    IMG_20180125_132226.jpg
    740.1 KB · Views: 362
Last edited: