The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

I made a ruckus last week on the beach with my boominator, upset some people on a caravan site who sent the police to the "massive rave" with hundreds of drunken teenagers...The police turned up and laughed at 30 middle aged people dancing round my boominator.... They said, (and I quote), "we weren't expecting that, I cant beleive how little kit you've got, could you just turn the bass down a bit ?".

I was so proud.

Thanks Saturnus, we are loving the boominator, can't wait to build the next one with a C-amp.

BJ

Have you made a ruckus yet?

Ha, Dad came over last week and we tested it out. I don't know if it was because we were closer or my backyard is fenced in, but it sounded louder than when I heard yours. It's along the lines of stupid and almost painfully loud :D

Going to try and button up everything nicely soon. Does anyone know where a good conversation on the electronics compartment is?

Hey guys! I just updated my old half boominator with some LED lights. But I'm getting a humming sound from the speakers when amplifier and LED's are on. Especially notable when I'm putting the controller on bloom, where it goes through all the colors, then the humming sound comes in waves in sync with the colors. And the humming isn't affected by the volume of the amp. I've tried with 2 different controllers and it's the same problem.

Anyone have any ideas on what the problem might be?

Finally have my shippment from accusafe going with the classic boominator setup with the Piezo tweeter- Monacor MPt and P-Audio IMF-HP-10W with the Maxamp20, have my wood cut to sizes (manually) and will start assemply tomorrow :), we have the largest festival here in iceland the first weekend of Agust, so for i have had the only boombox there the last three years, cant wait to test the boominator out :)

Our worklog

Finally have my shippment from accusafe going with the classic boominator setup with the Piezo tweeter- Monacor MPt and P-Audio IMF-HP-10W with the Maxamp20, have my wood cut to sizes (manually) and will start assemply tomorrow :), we have the largest festival here in iceland the first weekend of Agust, so for i have had the only boombox there the last three years, cant wait to test the boominator out :)
out worklog on facebook https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152866643531114&type=1&l=7c00fc3265

Radiated or conducted noise from the LED switching circuit. Try lengthening wires to see if it reduced when you move driver away.

I tried to move the controller away from the box (around 1m), but it still had a hum. I did a quick and basic sketch of my connection scheme:
55mJvxM.jpg

Is there a ground loop going on here?
Thanks guys! :grouphug:

I am not familiar with solar regulators, but connecting to the battery side of the regulator cause issues? That might isolate the amp from some noise. Also, do you happen to have a ferrite bead (the used to be included on video cables) ? You could try running the regulator power leads through one or run it through, loop it around, and run it through again. You might get lucky regarding noise freq and choke materials and see some benefit.

Hi guys,

I'm planning to build a Halfinator (at the moment I'm acquiring all the materials I need). With the guidance of Lutkeveld I've so far settled on the following build

Halfinator using the PHT-407N tweeters
24V 4500mAh LiFePO4 battery
TPA3116D2 amp
Bluetooth
Accusafe V3.5 (for 24V)

Since most of you are building full boominators weight is less of an issue, so I guess most opt for the easier to use SLA batteries. I however want to carry it on my back, hence only building a Halfinator and choosing a LiFePO4 battery. But now I am a bit stuck on how I would actually charge the battery. I planned to use the Pocket Rocket from Hobbyking (another suggestion by Lutkeveld) but the shipping costs are relatively enormous.

So my question is: anybody know of a practical way to charge a lithium battery inside the cabinet? I've already noticed this solution Half Boominator - Album on Imgur but I'd rather have a complete product when carrying it around without having to haul extra's with me.