The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

Hi svampan
Thanks for the input...... I'm a bit nervous about using an AMP9 because I read elsewhere in this thread that it is tricky to build for a beginner... I have never soldered a pcb before and thought I'd start with an AMP6 and perhaps in my boominator II project I'd go 24v, AMP9.
I'm confused about the tweeter thing,I don't want to permanently glue up a box with inferior components, but the extortionate costs of importing the piezo source components is putting me right off...... The audiophile in me can clearly see the superiority of the PHT407N and they work out much cheaper but the amp and crossover issue and my poor grasp of electronics may end up being a show stopper.....
BJ

@mrtmnrsmssn

2 reflexports may be symmetrical, but is not the way to do it, there's one in each chamber of the original. If you go through the thread, saturnus strongly recommend to use the original handle/port design. I've seen people use plastic ports, and I think the diameter was 78mm don't know about the length.

I adjusted the design to fit in a reflex port just like the one in the original boominator, but for obvious reasons, it couldnt be fitted at the bottom where it should be. So instead i fitted in the side and removed the reflux ports i had put in. Would everything be alright again then?

Thanks Saturnus, I thought I'd seen a filter for this somewhere on this thread but I can't for the life of me find it again, I'll keep looking.... Might be worth posting up on the wiki?.... I had thought about putting the filters in the centre compartment for upgrade later, (I also wondered what the effect of constant pounding from a maxed out boominator would have on components in the enclosures).... Thanks for confirming my idea..... I know that I'm going to get requests to build more of these so I can build up my expertise gradually..... I don't want to run before I can walk so I'm taking baby steps.
BJ

I adjusted the design to fit in a reflex port just like the one in the original boominator, but for obvious reasons, it couldnt be fitted at the bottom where it should be. So instead i fitted in the side and removed the reflux ports i had put in. Would everything be alright again then?

There's already a few sketch-ups of half-boominators (aka halfinator) out there.

If it's run in stereo, then I advise that you make the chambers separate and the center brace solid without holes. Add 12mm in length to the chambers to compensate for the volume loss and add use separate ports for each side. I think it's noted elsewhere how big they should be but if I recall correctly it's the same length (36mm) and each being 65mm in internal diameter.

Last edited:
There's already a few sketch-ups of half-boominators (aka halfinator) out there.

If it's run in stereo, then I advise that you make the chambers separate and the center brace solid without holes. Add 12mm in length to the chambers to compensate for the volume loss and add use separate ports for each side. I think it's noted elsewhere how big they should be but if I recall correctly it's the same length (36mm) and each being 65mm in internal diameter.

Making the chambers 12mm longer (I assume you meant 12mm longer in both chambers?), would make it impossible for the speaker magnets to connect, wouldn't it?
Thought that was more or less the whole point :)

Seems I'm back on the amp warpath :)

I tried the Lepai in the enclosure and it sounded really good up to about 70% on the phone's volume, after that everything got a bit distorted and the high's were all shrilly and the mids and lows distorted.

I assume this is because of the rubbish lepai amp :)

To get an amp6 to Aussie land I am looking at >$120 delivered for each amp, which is pretty much double what I payed for 4 lepai's.

There is a couple of alternatives ( one from a previous post by Saturnus), and another I googled.

I assume the ta2020 is a better chip, but the TA2024 has the BlueTooth Module...

TA2024 MKV Bluetooth Tripath Amplifier 2X 15 Watts 12V Fully Finished | eBay

$80 for 2 delivered to Au

Tripath TA2020 PCB 25Watt Class-T Audio Amplifier Board | eBay

$50 for 2 delivered to Au

Choices choices....

Wrong dimension. Height and width are fixed at 300mm externally for both. So length is the only dimension left to change.

Alright, last try then, I've removed the holes in the center panel, and I've added 12mm to (what I would refer to as) the height of the chambers. Furthermore I've made two reflex ports with a diameter of 65mm and a depth of 36mm in each chamber. I realize that you've pretty much told me exactly what to do, but I'm too scared to start cutting out the panels before I'm completely sure it would be the optimal build! :)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Here's a simple and fast drawing of how it should be connected. Please note that I made a mistake. The plus on the tweeters should be connected to minus on the amp, not the plus on the amp as I have drawn here.

Going through the thread I found this schematic for a 2channel amp, is it still doable with the pht-407n and hp10w? now I see why it's easy to upgrade to amp9b :)

It really should be on the otherwise excellent wiki-page. Once again thanks past and present saturnus!

filter

Hi

Correct me if I'm wrong, is this the filter setup reccommended if not using piezos? It wasn't clear if this was for use with HP10W's or the Emenence drivers........

Attachments

• updated boominator filter.png
    updated boominator filter.png
    75.2 KB · Views: 336
filters

Cheers Saturnus

It says HP10w because I added the speaker names, the original diagram (kindly adapted from your drawing by magnolio, did not mention which speakers to use)

Now I'm not only looking forward to soldering up the AMP6 for the first time but also to make my first crossover filter...... I think I will make it on a pegboard, it looks pretty simple.........

looking online, there are so many different types of coils, many different makes and prices and none of them actually say "low resistance" what should I be looking out for? (told you I was a noob)

Thanks to all on this great forum, I'm looking forward to getting stuck in.... will post photos of my build and I'm sure I will have more questions, especially when it comes to the solar charging circuit (and I still want an old school VU battery charge meter)......

Ta BJ

Last edited:
filters to use if you can't get hold of a decent piezo

Hi

Taking into account of discussions before, suggestions from Saturnus and others submissions of diagrams, here is an updated diagram that may help other boominator builders who refuse to pay to extortionate shipping costs of the piezo tweeters from USA....

I can buy the superior PHT-407N tweeters, and the components to build the filters from the UK, cheaper than getting the piezo source tweeters from USA.....

Cant wait to hear it.......

BJ

Attachments

• updated boominator filter.png
    updated boominator filter.png
    128.3 KB · Views: 329
Filter for HP-10/GW-1058 with 407Ns

This was the idea I brought up a few weeks ago. And I created a pdf with the different versions of it. And in looking at this latest diagram, I updated my version of this so noobies like me would understand it.
Saturnus, can I send you the other versions before posting it, so there won't be any confusion? I think you'll agree that once these diagrams are check over and made accurate, I can post it on the wiki and will be easier for anybody to look at. Thanks.

Attachments

• XO for HP10 and 407N.png
    XO for HP10 and 407N.png
    83.3 KB · Views: 358