DIY solar powered boombox

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It must be something scandinavian to chill out that way, I've been partying and BBQ-ing like that for three weeks. The macaroni is very suitable for that, it produces great sound from nearby, but from 50 meters away you can hardly even hear it...

The ball speaker idea seems quite nice! What drivers will you use?

I really like PVC pipe, they also have 120 degree knees, maybe simpler to use than the balls....I've been thinking of using them to get a better 'spread'....

Hi v-bro,
Here's the housing for a very similar 2" PVC amplified speaker I was going to make.

I'm trying to shrink the sound system down, so it's even more portable.
I'm building something different now instead.

Pekar

Attachments

• pvcspks.jpg
    pvcspks.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 401
Hey cool! :cool:

I definately believe in collective consciousness now! :rolleyes:

(conscienceness :D)

What drivers were you planning for the PVC model?

I'm using Monacor SPH-30X, great little gems they are really. Really modern, light (150grms!!) and durable materials, magnetic shielding. They have sensational sensitivity too (at least 87db which is ultra for a 3"). But they sound best with a slight notchfilter IMO...

My macaroni seems to produce real bass (you can feel it in your stomach from a few meters distance!) Most people are really impressed, even some hifi fanatics....

I used rainpipe PVC, it's cheaper and thinner thus lighter. I never planned it to sound really good, the drivers really are way overqualified...

I had to cut the basket to become round to fit in the PVC pipe, than I used silicone glue to mount it and seal it off AND make it waterproof! It has been playing in the rain several times without any problem.....:)

I designed it to fit on a bike of a friend of mine, but it seemed very suitable for lots of other applications, By now I have built eight of them....

I have two Hi Vi A2s, that I rounded the baskets on.

We're working along similar lines. I really admired your first tiny amp32 in the diamond plate enclosure. The small size compared to the power of that amp sure changes what is possible.

That Monacor looks like a winner. Too bad they are hard to get here.

Pekar

Yes, like I said, collective consciousness...:)

That Hivi driver looks nice, but the specs don't really turn my crank. The 78db/W/M sensitivity and poor lower frequency response is what I'm referring to...

The SPH-30X is small and light, so might be worth the shipping cost....

I ordered them from http://www.bmm-electronics.com
http://www.bmm-electronics.com/Product.asp?Product_ID=5561

By the way Pekar, what is it you're building instead of the Pekaroni?
:D

May we know?

v-bro said:
I built a smaller version, ofcourse after the wishes of my girlfriend...:D

Hmmm ... make it of a single chromed steel pipe bent around 60 degrees inward in each end and angles 30 degrees up. Then make a black anodized alublock (or even better a solid rubber block) with iPod dock capability to rest it on, and you have a potential megahit selling product.

Converting heat to electricity

To convert heat to electricity you need a sterling engine (see wikipeadia). I suspect you would need to get the water hotter than a solar system could. However the wood burner is a good candidate if you wanted back up power.

Love the solar powered music systems. One way to get a good sound quality and more output would be to use a Lowther drive unit as these are 102dB per W. However they are very expensive. The SET guys tend to use them as you can get alot of sound from a very inefficient amplifer. (cost about $800 but they do sound good)

Or for a lot less money you could use a guitar amp speaker - they are big but really efficient. For example Celestion do a 12inch that is 98dB efficient across most of the audio range with a lift round 4-5K to over 100dB. (The seventy 80) Ok there is no treble to speak of but most tweeters are efficient so it shouldn't be to hard to make a 98dB full range. Put it in a guitar box and you could mount the solar panels, a high efficiency amp and a small lead acid in the box. (cost of drive unit about $40). Power free busking amp and MP3 player.

Regards,
Andrew

Re: Converting heat to electricity

gfiandy said:
To convert heat to electricity you need a sterling engine (see wikipeadia).

Why? You could just use a thermoelectric material. (see Wikipedia).

gfiandy said:
Or for a lot less money you could use a guitar amp speaker - they are big but really efficient. For example Celestion do a 12inch that is 98dB efficient across most of the audio range with a lift round 4-5K to over 100dB. (The seventy 80) Ok there is no treble to speak of but most tweeters are efficient so it shouldn't be to hard to make a 98dB full range. Put it in a guitar box and you could mount the solar panels, a high efficiency amp and a small lead acid in the box. (cost of drive unit about $40). Power free busking amp and MP3 player.

Regards,
Andrew

See my boombox thread for further exploration into that idea.

gfiandy said:
Because he wants enough power to do something usefull - "backup when main power is out"

Modern thermoelctric materials have efficiencies at in the range of 6-13%. In combination with solar panels where the thermoelectric material is mounted on the backside of the solarpanels you could easily achieve 25%+ conversion of solar energy to electricity.

I think we are talking at cross purposes here. The poster was talking about converting heat from a water solar system. Not direct heat from the sun. I only mentioned the sterling engine because he then mentioned a wood burner which could create enough heat to actually run one. I presume he was talking about this becuase he wanted an after dark supply.

By the way read your thread on the boom box. A really interesting project, sorry I didn't read it before posting the description, I wasn't trying to "steal your thunder"

Regards,
Andrew

That's quite ok. I'm sure I wasn't the first or the last to come with this "innovative" idea. :)

The thing about a sterling engine is that it requires more heat than can be generated in aquasolar systems. Thermoelectric material don't require any significant amount of heat, it merely relies on the temperature difference between the two sides to generate electricity.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.