Tends TA10 negative or positive grounded

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi guys

i dont want to fry my Trends up, a rather basic question, but would rather ask and look silly, than make a big mistake.

I have bought some croc clips, , a DC plug, and got some wire so i can affix a battery to my trends. Im just wondering if the Trends is negative grounded, does that mean i solder to the outer metal sheath, and positive to the inner metal pin. And if its positive grounded, its vice versa?

just making certain thanks for any info.

Tried to delete this post, as its like ritual humiliation, ha ha ha, but where as you Hobbyists (obsessives) cough, started messing with electronics when you were in nappies, i didnt pick up a soldering iron till last year.
(mistaken for a hot screwdriver)
:clown:

Anyway, once again ive learnt something new, and not obliterated my amp yet, we can but hope:D

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Strange.... I thought I replied to this thread last night - and that the content was a bit different. I was feverish and dizzy last week, but feel fine this week. Or maybe not. :cannotbe:

Oh well. Good to see that you got it sorted.

Center is Positive. Don't reverse it or you will kill the chip. Enjoy the music!

I reversed mine very briefly and it didn't kill the chip. It didn't boot up the first time, and I was right to assume I got the leads wrong. After switching it, it turned on just fine. I guess I got really lucky, or Trends buit in some protection at some point.

It was after reading David Kans review on 6 moons that i read about his accident that burned the chip out. Also in the beginning when looking at the diagram, and not using any common sense i decided that it was positive ground. Only after closer inspection of a diagram online, as i wanted to check it, did i find it was negative ground. Nearlly, nearlly soldered it the wrong way round.

Im getting the Tank caps, and Auricap, input caps, + heatsink soon, that should add more fun. All thanks to Panos mods.:D

emperor. You can get a fantastically indispensable gadget from Maplin for 99p which tells you which way a power supply with a 2.1 or 2.5 mm plug is wired. It has 2 LED's one lights up if the centre is + or the other if it is -. Best thing I ever bought for 99p!

Oh nearly forgot, both light up if the current is AC not DC. Brilliant.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.