• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Overlays for Chipamp.com LM3886 boards?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bill_P:

Thanks, but not quite. I'm still an extreme newbie (even after all my efforts and travails). But I believe an overlay shows the circuit traces on the bottom overlaid with the component names and/or values on top. In other words, both sets of graphics/text on the same surface.

Last edited:
Chipamp.com made it clear to me that they do not have any overlays for their products.

It was a nice thought, though.

When you place the parts you don't need to see the copper pattern, only where to put the part. You haven't try to contact the company you bought the pcb's from?

BTW: You can also look at the physical boards if you want to know how the copper tracks look like.

PCB Layers | BitWeenie

QUOTE:
"Overlay or silkscreen layers provide, among other things, the text designators for your components on the top and bottom layers. If utilizing these layers, separate files should be provided to the fabricator for the top and bottom overlays. There is no need for overlays on internal layers (you’d never be able to see them!). If you don’t care to have text on your board, these files are not necessary. However, text is immensely helpful, especially when debugging boards in the lab."

They are called overlays because they are the last layer applied during the manufacturing process. Overlays DO NOT depict traces. They are meant to show component designators and other information like model, version, etc. Most PCB CAD software also include the part's footprint and optionally, its value.
I have assembled several of the Chipamp.com PCBs and all of them, without exception, had the overlay, that is, the white silk screen layer with components' footprint and designator.
What exactly are you missing? What kind of help do you need?

To be honest, I don't know exactly, as someone is helping me with this. But what you describe shows the component designators on one side and the traces on the other side. I think what I'm looking for is both on one plane.

EDIT: OR both layers, so that I can superimpose one on top of another

Last edited:
The problem appears to be your understanding of the language. I made it clear in my posting: Overlays DO NOT depict traces.
You should take a look at the schematic on page 3 of the User's Guide, available at Chipamp.com web site.

http://www.chipamp.com/docs/User%20Guide%20-%20LM3886%20Kit.pdf

It tells you the value of each component by its designator: R1: 1K, R2: 22K, R3: 680R, etc. Those designators are clearly marked on the PCB.

http://chipamp.com/beta2/wp-content/uploads/IMG_08171-e1386797539186.jpg

I did say that I'd already looked through the manual, and it does not contain what I need. Thanks anyways.

The problem appears to be your understanding of the language. I made it clear in my posting: Overlays DO NOT depict traces.
You should take a look at the schematic on page 3 of the User's Guide, available at Chipamp.com web site.

http://www.chipamp.com/docs/User%20Guide%20-%20LM3886%20Kit.pdf

It tells you the value of each component by its designator: R1: 1K, R2: 22K, R3: 680R, etc. Those designators are clearly marked on the PCB.

http://chipamp.com/beta2/wp-content/uploads/IMG_08171-e1386797539186.jpg

P-A,

A few posts ago I asked the same thing: "What kind of help do you need?". Hogwild did not answer. We don't know who is the person behind the name used in this forum. This hobby can be daunting for some, especially if the person has difficulty expressing himself/herself, as it gets in the way of us providing assistance.

Peranders:

Thanks for the solid advice. I actually already built 4 of them. My friend says the overlays would come in handy for some troubleshooting.

Thanks for what's already been posted. That should eliminate about half the work, I'd think.

Hogwild, I'll guess that you plan to make you own pcb and you don't know how but apparently you have a friend who can help you.

Just a hint, chipamp's pcb is not that expensive and the chance to succeed is rather high.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.