Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Chipamp IC amp kits & PC boards from ChipAmp

Old 29th October 2014, 11:44 AM   #1
cspirou is offline cspirou  United States
diyAudio Member

Lightbulb 4 channel amp

I am looking to make a 4 channel amp for the Linkwitz LXmini as well as any other speaker I plan to use DSP. Would it be feasible to just purchase the stereo kit and add two more lm3886 amps PCBs? Or would this overwhelm the power supply and I would have to have a separate power source for the extra channels?
Old 12th November 2014, 01:30 PM   #2
stax92 is offline stax92  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Just some thoughts (rather than advice) from me... I plan to do the same and for the same purpose but with four LM3875 Audiosector 'units'.

I had toyed with the idea of a dual mono approach when I was going to make a two channel amp but the consensus here seemed to be that it's hardly worth bothering, and putting four toroids in a case seems a bit excessive. I think there's a case for a rectifer board for each channel but I'd welcome any comments.

Re the power supply, where I was going to get a 200VAC 2x24v toroid I think I'll get two. I can't seem to find much information on the minimum/optimum VAC for the LM3875 but my guess is that this should do it.

The shame is that the old pro amp that I'll be using as a case has a massive Holden & Fisher toroid in it but the outputs are 2x76v and stepping that down for this purpose looks like a job way beyond my current knowledge.

4 channel ampHide this!Advertise here!