This is not just another gainclone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
these are mine gainclones. In the picture is one channel three GC for quadriamp system. Thorsten schematic except input cap 0.1 mF because I use them for multiamp from 300 Hz up. Dc offset variyng from 0.8mV to 2.2mV.
I made them with the cheapest component I could find(except transformer) just to see potential.
They work great maybe I 'll go for selected component.
Peter as all your amp those are great too.

Attachments

• 3875amp13dic0207aa.jpg
    3875amp13dic0207aa.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 19,888
Beautiful job on the Gainclone, Peter.

I have a novice question on acrylic: I'm planning to drill chambers in my Teres platter and fill them with leadshot/plumber's goop mix. Any advice or watchouts? I've never drilled into acrylic, I just want to be sure I don't crack it or something. I think I'll do eight chambers of around 1" diameter and 1.5-2.0" depth. The other concern is boring the same depth on all the chambers, so the platter doesn't end up unbalanced.

cheers
Noam

is the volume control nessessary?

the pre amplifer usally controls sound so why are you including a volume control in this as well? does it perform worse when running at full power (volume) and will there be any problems if i delete the volume control from the circuit?

Noam said:
Beautiful job on the Gainclone, Peter.

I have a novice question on acrylic: I'm planning to drill chambers in my Teres platter and fill them with leadshot/plumber's goop mix. Any advice or watchouts? I've never drilled into acrylic, I just want to be sure I don't crack it or something. I think I'll do eight chambers of around 1" diameter and 1.5-2.0" depth. The other concern is boring the same depth on all the chambers, so the platter doesn't end up unbalanced.

cheers
Noam

If you use drill press the depth can be easily adjusted. If using a hand drill, you have to use block of wood to control depth. Use the lowest speed and you'll be fine. Be carefull when drill gets hot, if you stop and don't remove it in time, it may get stuck.

fezz said:
is the volume control nessessary?

the pre amplifer usally controls sound so why are you including a volume control in this as well? does it perform worse when running at full power (volume) and will there be any problems if i delete the volume control from the circuit?

I used the volume because this way I don't need a preamp. If you plan to use preamp, you don't need volume in the amp. Unless your preamp has caps at the output, I recommend using them to couple the amp's input.

Dave said:
Peter,

The big question - How does it compare to your other amplifiers? A75? Alephs?

To answer this questions, I'll use a comparison that Nelson likes to use.;)

All those amps sound fine and the differences are like comparing different wines. A75 is more crisp sounding comparing to Alephs, Alephs are more refined and laid back. Aleph X seems to be perfect in every department, and gainclone is like a new kid on a block, trying to impress everybody. How good it really is, time can only tell, but from what I've heard so far, his future looks very promising.

I had all three amps (except AlephX) lent to a friend, who is quite into tube equipment, and he is impressed the most by my gainclone. Considering the parts and efforts needed to build one, you can't really pass an opportunity like that.;)

What characterises this amp is liveliness and intimacy with which it reproduces the music. The highs are pretty good (lacking maybe only the top end microresolution, but again this amp needs at least 3 weeks break in period), midrange is very good and the bass is surprising. Soundstage is nothing to complain about and you can listen to the amp for hours without getting tired. Please note that I used almost the best parts available and made it a very sound structure, plus few tricks to damp vibrations in capacitors and make a signal path very short. Built different way it may sound not the same. And I'm talking here about this gainclone: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=100671#post100671

Few people asked me about it already. I bought them locally at Active Surplus. They've been there for months and I didn't really know how to use them. It's after building my first gainclone I figured they might be perfect size for that amp. So I went there and bought all of them (about 12 pcs.). There are still few left, but they are slightly damaged on the fins.

amazing craftsmenship

Hi Peter,

I am new to this website, but frequently post at Audio Asylum. I am completely knocked out by your craftmenship.

Perhaps this is out of the question, but I will ask anyways:

I unfortunately lack the knowledge and abilities to build a gainclone. Would you be interested in building me a similar amp to the amp you have built, using top quality components as you did?

If so, let me know how much you would like to be reimbursed for this project.

I can be reached at krisgel100@yahoo.com

Thank you,

Adam

My profile says 'fulltime diy' and it is not far from the truth. Last year I was working on aircrafts in US and Sweden (structural repair and maintenance). When I came home I got involved into this electronics hobby so much that I decided this year to stay home.;)

Money is running out thou and I have to turn this hobby into money making operation. Looks like gain clone is one such opportunity.;)

You can find more about my background here http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4868&highlight=hpotter+leaving+stagek

Hello,

I´m intending to give this amp a try.

Anyone with experience of low supply voltage? Let me say +-12V. I think I have read somewhere that it should improve the sound quality.

The reason for such low voltage is that it make it possible for me to use 16V OSCON which I already have in my boxes.

Carl

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Carl, it is not beneficial to save a little money on the wrong place.
I made the mistake often as well to adapt a design for the parts I had in my drawer. It doesn't work out.

OSCON certainly won't sound as good as BG here and +/- 12 V will give very low output. Too low. Please see the datasheet for the lowest possible power supply voltage.

Just use BG 1000 uF 50 V and experience the same as others do that built the amp. You won't regret it.

Jean-Paul

Jean-Paul,

Thanks for your reply.

The reason for such low voltage was that some people claim improved sound quality. I was also afraid of the heat produced when loading the amp into "class A". http://pub4.ezboard.com/ffakeidsfrm1.showMessage?topicID=491.topic . Perhaps I´m too cautious.

I think I follow your recommendation. AudioNote of UK stocks the Black Gate caps. Is the FK type sufficient or do I have to use the quite expensive N type?

Carl

I think this Peter Daniel should be banned from this forum!

First of all I really think it is not one person at all but a team of crack metal machinists, audio designers and engineers in a plot to make most of the DIY community feel like almost completely incapable amateur beginners!
Secondly, any projects presented by this so called Peter Daniel on this forum should only be allowed on the site with a minimum waiting period of about a month. I mean how can one cope with having hardly finished reading one thread dedicated to the presentation of one of his recent projects when a new sprouts up it seems like hours later? :eek:
"Peter Daniel" ,I am going to send you the bill of my therapist!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.