This is not just another gainclone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Everything is mounted to the rear panel which is 1/2" thick aluminum bar.

Attachments

• cl.jpg
    cl.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 9,573
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Any comments on my layout are welcome. This is not the final board because sizes of parts are still unknown. Have to buy the BG's. I know the Gainclone is supposed to be hardwired but I simply don't like hardwiring.

I deliberately used a low resolution to prevent anyone from using this unfinished and untested layout. If it has reached the final stage I am willing to publish it here for anyone to use.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Sorry, I scanned the layout another time for better viewing.

Feedback resistor is mounted between the pins, Peter. Never mind that I don't like hardwiring. If I could do is as neat as you can I might consider it. Plan is to snip off some of the unused pins for a better layout. Positive input can be shorted to ground by using a jumper wire instead of a resistor. The 1 uF caps have to be mounted at the copperside. Remember this is a first version ! It will be more compact and it will have shorter tracks. Distances of components look greater than they are in reality. Just showing it to you for comment ( and good ideas ). Power caps are moving to the chips as I speak :D
Footprint is wrong for BG, I know. The ones I have here have the used footprint. I want to use 4 x 1000 uF as you can see. Wires will be connected with those plastic blocks in which you can attach the wire with a screw ( don't know the english name for it ). Although there are very few parts it is not easy making a nice board that's symmetric ( ish ).

Transformer will be a Seidlbauer 2 x 18 V 4,44 A.

Attachments

• gainclone.jpg
    gainclone.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 8,145
Well, since there is going to be a little delay on the AX boards, I think I am going to build one of these little suckers now. Since, I have the passive components already, I guess I don't have any excuse. I got nearly all the rest of the square tubing for the heatsink project and need to cut it up. I might as well cut out a gainclone chassis.
Peter, how long did it take to get the amp samples after you asked for them?

I built a gainclone a while ago, when everyone on this board say that it would suck because it was an IC and an opamp. Oh well, it was simple, and my first project so I did anyways, I liked it. And I've built others since then. Although I've only seen LM3875s in this thread I prefer the LM1875, less power but I think they sound better, just my opinion though. But I do rather my Class-A MOSFET Power Follower to my gainclones. So I guess we all have our own opinions.

Whre is Thorsten's circuit?

Hi all. How does Quality Kit's LM1875-based kit compare to the Thorsten circuit? I have bought two and a 220 VA Vellemen xformer and Quality Kits power supply (40000 mF) but the chassis is the stumbling block. Also where is the Thorsten circuit available?

Oh Peter: great chassis...just simply humbling. Do you ever anodize parts? How do you prevent long-term corrosion of raw aluminum faces if not by anodizing. Thanks.

Greg Olsen
Calgary

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.