To decouple or not to decouple.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm putting together one of Peter's LM3875 kits in a monobloc format. I have 4 Jensen 4 pole electrolytics left over from another project. Would I gain anything sonically by inserting one each in the + and - rails between bridges and amps? I'm using a 300VA/22v Plitron transformer.

Thanks!

The jensens are so good that you should make a separate velo board and hook them up as shown. If you have 2 caps, then just use one half of the configuration. Then you can compare power supply configurations and have more fun.

Attachments

• tcapsparalleled.png
    tcapsparalleled.png
    18.2 KB · Views: 350
Hey Andrew,

This diagram was posted by Chris (ClassD4sure). Maybe the experts in the forum can chime in on how the jensens work.

i don't know how these 4 poles Jensens or BHC's are constructed. But they are polarised with 2 +- terminals, and they are not 2 radial caps rolled into one. Either - terminal works with either, or both + terminals.

Maybe the jensen white papers can help, it didn't really help me answer your question. I have no engineering background.

http://www.jensencapacitors.com/audio/white-papers/4pole.html

I am pretty much a newbie, but i am always curious. I tried // 2 normal caps in series but that didn't work like i imagined. :cannotbe:

Anyway, i was telling George that this was the best configuration i have built for my ucd180 and nigc. The regulated PS was a close second and third would be the capacitance multiplier. But that one runs the amps so hot, i think it might have caused my ucd's some inherent problems. Thus, unregulated snubberised PS would be my unqualified third placed. And 8X Pana FC's straight up were my least preferred, but they are still pretty good.

In the back of my mind, the reputation of Blackgate FK looms.

Chuck

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.