Relay based source selector. Help needed!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to build a source selector similar to the Darwin source selector from www.twistedpearaudio.com

The objective is to create a pcb to build a source selector, with multiple inputs, loop out, and multiple outputs.( still to decide how many of each).

This PCB could be used inside an amp or pre amp, or as a switch box.

I am using this project to learn how to design PCB's and also because this would be very helpful for people who want multiple inputs.

I have done some searches but have not found schematics or anything which might help.

If anyone is interested in this, knows about useful information, has opinions, or would like to propose anything please post! All the help is apreciated!

not complictated

A relay selector can be extremely simple if you use dual coil latching relays (one coil SETs the other RESETs). I was in your boat, wanted to do my own PCB and make a pusbutton relay source selector. Here is what I came up with for my preamp. No logic chips or anything, just a bunch of diodes in a matrix that directly set and reset the pins of the relays by sending in a voltage from a momentary pushbutton switch. It works great, its neat to hear the little relays clicking when you change inputs. I also had a second set of relays to click on and off little LEDs above each switch so you could see which input was active.

you need this from diyfidelity.com.au

Attachments

• source_selector.jpg
    source_selector.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 1,536
MASantos said:
I must add that I don't know anything about relays so I don't have a clue what a dual coil latching relays is.

My DIY background is mostly headphone amps and DAC. I am a regular poster at www.head-fi.org

I have never done something like this.

Eventually I will build a gainclone...:D

Gain Clone is a Good Start For Ya. :D

Before the Gainclone, I still have some other projects, so the gainclone will only built next year.

Regarding that diyfidelity dource selector, it has a volume control and I really don't need that.

I might just buy a darwin, from twistedpearaudio.

But it has more inputs than I need and the board is bigger than want...

it there any way to mod the darwin board to make it smaller, such as cutting a bit of the board?

MASantos said:
Before the Gainclone, I still have some other projects, so the gainclone will only built next year.

Regarding that diyfidelity dource selector, it has a volume control and I really don't need that.

I might just buy a darwin, from twistedpearaudio.

But it has more inputs than I need and the board is bigger than want...

it there any way to mod the darwin board to make it smaller, such as cutting a bit of the board?

1.5" x 4" is too big? You don't have to use/wire all the inputs.

Russ White said:

1.5" x 4" is too big? You don't have to use/wire all the inputs.

I understand that I don't need to wire all the inputs. Can I cut the board section of the inputs I don't use? or will that cause any problem?

The problem here is not using the darwin. It looks great I will consider it in future designs, but I really wanted to design the board to my specific needs and etch it/order it from PCB manufacturer.
For instance I was considering PCB mount rca's so I didn't have to use any wires at all.

Would it be possible to give the schematic for the darwin? Which program have you used?

How do I supply this board?

Hi there - i have made a standard Brian GT gainclone and want to implement this switcher/vol control. Do i need to use a separate supply for this switcher or can I feed off the gainclone supply somehow? The board has a rectifier and 7805 regulator on it already. Could i use the LED supply with a different resistor and come in after the rectifier on the board ? Could I use the 18V AC supply after my transformer? Just want to avoid any interference with the gainclone - I have tried it with a 9V battery and it works well - dead quiet. Any suggestions welcomed!

Attachments

• source_selector_thumb.jpg
    source_selector_thumb.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 1,007
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.