Chip Amp Photo Gallery

gninnam said:
VictoriaGuy - beautiful looking amp you have made - how does it sound?

Thanks for the kind words.

I'm not 'audiophile certified', so can't comment on the sound in much detail. I've got some expert ears lined up to come around for a listen sometime soon.
It sounds very good to me- good bass and a nice realistic feeling with the right CDs- I tend to listen to small ensemble jazz stuff and the like. Diana Krall, Trio Hadouk, etc.

Cheers
John

Design Problems

Hi
I have seen some inspiring designs in the chip amp photo gallery. Several show the Attenuators mounted at the rear of the chassis with a rod running to a knob on the front.
I have tracked down the inline connector from RS components and the 6mm rod is no problem. What I can’t find any ware is a suitable bearing to mount on the front of the chassis to give the knob a good solid feel.
Any suggestions ?
dh

BrianGT The LM1875 Kit

I usually build my Nephews a Mina A amp when they graduate, but since this one was still in school he got this. Always a glutton for punishment I tried to build it as small as I could for Dorm use.

Attachments

• chip.jpg
    chip.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 3,612
Re: BrianGT The LM1875 Kit

wirewiggler said:
I usually build my Nephews a Mina A amp when they graduate, but since this one was still in school he got this. Always a glutton for punishment I tried to build it as small as I could for Dorm use.

Very nice...

The size of the heat sink should make up for the inefficiency of the horizontal mounting..

But I have to ask:

Is the bottom Plexi-glass also? And if so why do you have a ground going to an insulator? Why not pull that ground wire backwards to the metal rear panel?

But I LOVE the look and size of the amp, and I will be doing something similar for my kids now.. Thanks for the idea and pic!