Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Chip Amp Photo Gallery
Chip Amp Photo Gallery
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th September 2018, 03:19 AM   #3181
ellisr63 is offline ellisr63  Mexico
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuohi View Post
Not all amps need to be square boxes, do they? This LM3886 kit has been waiting for an enclosure for ages. Now it has one. Wood, leather, brass etc.
GORGEOUS AMPS! I cannot believe the quality of workmanship, and design that you and others have in your projects! These are the quality and innovativeness I can only dream of.
9 DIY B&O Bridged amps for biamped horns(maybe 3 balanced DIY class A amps too), Yamaha cxa5100 preamp, Oppo 203, Samsung 65" 4k fp, KLH sub. DIY projects... 7 horns with 3 being DIY Synergy horns for living room.theater
Old 13th September 2018, 01:53 PM   #3182
ukhopeful is offline ukhopeful  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post
WOW! That looks awesome! Where dod you get the case, or did you scratch build that too?
The case is a 2U Dissipante from ModuShop. I sent the panels to Schaeffer for drilling and legends.
Old 14th September 2018, 09:19 AM   #3183
vuohi is offline vuohi  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post
GORGEOUS AMPS! I cannot believe the quality of workmanship, and design that you and others have in your projects! These are the quality and innovativeness I can only dream of.
Thanks a lot! Much appreciated. I find designing and building this stuff very therapeutic. I'm not much of an electrical designer, but I like to design and create all sorts of stuff. There's so much great stuff being built by the DIY Audio community it's easy to spend hours just looking at all the stuff you can find here. In fact the gainclone just got a new best friend which can be seen in the tube section gallery...
Old 19th September 2018, 03:07 AM   #3184
avtech23 is offline avtech23  Australia
WAF. The most critical value in any audio project!
diyAudio Member

Chip Amp Photo Gallery
A pair of TDA2050 kits and a Bluetooth receiver squeezed into the smallest case I could manage.

Mostly assembly and figuring out how to mount everything but still an enjoyable side project :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180918_222912.jpg (445.2 KB, 359 views)
File Type: jpg 20180918_222939.jpg (480.4 KB, 360 views)
Old 19th September 2018, 10:23 AM   #3185
jemraid is offline jemraid  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hello Avtech,

That's a great build, nice to see something in the smallest possible case.
May I ask how it compares to your other amps perhaps the JLH in particular.

Cheers - Jem
Old 19th September 2018, 02:06 PM   #3186
diyAudio Member

Chip Amp Photo Gallery
Thanks Jem. It was certainly a challenge trying to get it all crammed in and still allow for airflow. The BT board connector wires seemed to be made of angel's hair - so thin they pretty much broke off the pot by simply looking at them!

This amp sounds decent enough for about maybe up to around the first third of the power. It then starts to sound a bit muffled or constrained before moving into a higher distortion band close to max output.

It is louder and has a clearer tone than the JLH but the JLH is definitely a richer, smoother sounding amp. The JLH I feel is suited to 'easy listening/chill out' whereas this one is happy with pop radio type music. I found high range female vocals a little on the annoying side though.

This one I feel is quite acceptable for a desktop near field environment where you don't need to crank it. It also takes up less space and generates much less heat than the JLH.

The amp is rated 25w into 4 ohm but so far I've only got it to my 'level 2' sacrificial workshop speakers - 50w 8 ohm JVCs. Maybe it'll sound better on some 4ohm..?
Old 20th September 2018, 07:35 AM   #3187
diyAudio Member

Hello avtech,

Many thanks for your response and for your very good descriptions.
I was thinking about making a 2050, but then remembered after reading your words that I'd got a couple of 3886's somewhere and then found them.

I've got a 'fat sound' GC with a largish power supply and a defunct one with a pair of toroids in it. I also remembered Mick Feuerbacher's minimalist 3886 and I'm going to see what that's like.

Cheers - Jem
Old 21st September 2018, 01:39 AM   #3188
Carlp is offline Carlp  United States
diyAudio Member

Chip Amp Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by avtech23 View Post
A pair of TDA2050 kits and a Bluetooth receiver squeezed into the smallest case I could manage.

Mostly assembly and figuring out how to mount everything but still an enjoyable side project :-)
Bluetooth is the only input?
Old 4th October 2018, 11:01 AM   #3189
diyAudio Member

Hello all,

I used Mick Feuerbacher's two resistor circuit.

I wanted to make the simplest and least expensive chip amp I could.
A wooden box. Two transformers second hand on Ebay, bought some years ago.

Junk box items; mains socket, 4 bridge rectifiers, old very robust DP switch, heatsinks from a scrap yard, connectors and single core wire.
And I bought for 16.74 resistors and capacitors from Cricklewood Electronics

Click the image to open in full size.

I thought it's going to hum with no screened cables, it doesn't
I thought there would be some RF interference, there is none.

In fact it's the best amp I've ever made, sonically superb.

Cheers
Old 4th October 2018, 11:24 AM   #3190
diyAudio Member

Chip Amp Photo Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlp View Post
Bluetooth is the only input?
Apologies, I didn't get a notification this time.

Yes, at this stage I am only using a bluetooth input but I have a hole ready to accept a 3.5mm jack (just need to buy the jack).

The bluetooth module has a function whereby it detects an additional input source and it will pass-thru the signal.

Chip Amp Photo GalleryHide this!Advertise here!