Chip Amp Photo Gallery

Cylindrical Amp?

Finished my amp and it sounds quite good.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Rear.jpg

Its built on one of Peter Daniels seemingly indestructible LM4780 PCBs.

Currently in the process of building the battery power supply to give ~ +-25V. It works but its not very pretty even by my standards.

Next thing to sort out is speakers.

regiregi22, the Bluetooth receiver I'm using is the BLK-MD-SPK-B. If you search eBay for 'Bluetooth audio module', you can find them. Here is a link to someones blog who has also had a play with one of these modules:

YZRandomE: DIY OVC3860 Bluetooth Receiver / PKB-PCBA Evaluation Board

I'm planning on getting the Roving Networks RN-52 Bluetooth receiver soon as this gives a digital out that can be fed into my DAC.

"Number 9" - Tube and Chip Integrated 80W amp

For $48 I bought this um-assembled tube (6N3) and chip (7294) amp. You get the PCB, tube and parts for the brd. only. This is my build of the amp. I called it "Number 9"

Attachments

• cctbrd.jpg
    cctbrd.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 1,888
  • Inside.jpg
    Inside.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 1,860
  • Number 9.jpg
    Number 9.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 1,782
  • Number 9Rear.jpg
    Number 9Rear.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 1,656
Nice looking clean build. Curiosity though... I've seen roughly the same kit on eBay, but always wondered can you get the stated 80w a side and how does it sound mhouston?

Yes I got the kit from eBay. The chips will do 100W with the right PS and 180W peaks. With the tranni I have the best I can get is 80W. The PS and all are on the cct. Brd. So all you need is a tranni.

The whole amp sounds very good. I may still favour my 300B SE and other valve amps but this comes very close. BUT it only came very close sounding when I added back my single tube preamp (12AU7). Just using the tube buffer, in the amp, it sounded a bit disjointed. The tube preamp smoothed the sound out. Bass extension is very deep and well controlled and of course the is plenty of volume. It is worth a build. It may surprise you how well they sound for $48. The cost is in the case $109 and trannies.

Yes I got the kit from eBay. The chips will do 100W with the right PS and 180W peaks. With the tranni I have the best I can get is 80W. The PS and all are on the cct. Brd. So all you need is a tranni.

The whole amp sounds very good. I may still favour my 300B SE and other valve amps but this comes very close. BUT it only came very close sounding when I added back my single tube preamp (12AU7). Just using the tube buffer, in the amp, it sounded a bit disjointed. The tube preamp smoothed the sound out. Bass extension is very deep and well controlled and of course the is plenty of volume. It is worth a build. It may surprise you how well they sound for $48. The cost is in the case $109 and trannies.

Thanks for the info. I was trying to do the math for this one and was worried that the case, transformer, hook-ups, would run me closer to $150 - 175, then add in the $49 for the kit (the one seller I have booked marked has the same electrolytics shown, but sometimes that is never the case). The only savings I could see was re-using a chassis, but it is nice to know that it could be lower in price.

And if the sound is good, this might be YET another project I will have to buy, shelve, then dive into.

Thanks for the information and it has me thinking...

Thanks for the info. I was trying to do the math for this one and was worried that the case, transformer, hook-ups, would run me closer to $150 - 175, then add in the $49 for the kit (the one seller I have booked marked has the same electrolytics shown, but sometimes that is never the case). The only savings I could see was re-using a chassis, but it is nice to know that it could be lower in price.

And if the sound is good, this might be YET another project I will have to buy, shelve, then dive into.

Thanks for the information and it has me thinking...
I'm entertaining four hardcore audiophile strength listeners today from the Melbourne Audio club. First time they will hear the amp. If I can get a comment from them I will post it. They have liked my chip amps of the past. I prefer my tube amps - 300B SEs etc.