Chip Amp Photo Gallery

Not sure if I ever posted a photo of my finished dual LM3886 job. I originally planned for two physically separate amps, one to sit by each speaker, but later decided to put them into the same chassis which accounts for the rather space-wasting design (it's a 3U 19" rack enclosure). Anyway, I've been happy with it for a few years now :)

index.php

Not sure if I ever posted a photo of my finished dual LM3886 job. I originally planned for two physically separate amps, one to sit by each speaker, but later decided to put them into the same chassis which accounts for the rather space-wasting design (it's a 3U 19" rack enclosure). Anyway, I've been happy with it for a few years now :)

index.php

Very nice, I would only change the power switch for a push in switch and I would add a Blue/green led on front to show amp is on.

Looks good... hope you trace the problem.

Where did you get the case with the heatsink sides in the last picture from please?
thunk you
Aluminium Chassis
I bought from web in Thailand ,maybe oder to come from China.

"have problems with hum."

I see a lot of unshielded, barely twisted wire.. That might be a good place to start.

But it does look good..
thunk you
Maybe the DAC board is too close to that bunch of "noisy" EI transformers?

I like that way of assembling the rectifier bridge, never seem it before :)
thunk you
DSC03244.JPG

I use that (cooking foil put on pcb) under PCB DAC
(2 layer frist cooking foil put on pcb/second layer PCB DAC )
wire all= Teflon wire silver plat
I checked.
dac ok
pre have problems (12ax7&12au7)
power amp ok
maybe hum from pre tube (Heater)
I will try. use mc7806
+6 for pin 4/5
0 for pin 9
--------------
Unfortunately with bad language.

Last edited:
thunk you
Aluminium Chassis
I bought from web in Thailand ,maybe oder to come from China.

thunk you

thunk you
DSC03244.JPG

I use that (cooking foil put on pcb) under PCB DAC
(2 layer frist cooking foil put on pcb/second layer PCB DAC )
wire all= Teflon wire silver plat
I checked.
dac ok
pre have problems (12ax7&12au7)
power amp ok
maybe hum from pre tube (Heater)
I will try. use mc7806
+6 for pin 4/5
0 for pin 9
--------------
Unfortunately with bad language.
While aliminium may be effective against EMI radiation, the MAGNETIC field from a transformer would only be shielded if using steel or any mu metal. I'm afraid aluminium or even copper should render useless for that purpose. Anyway, you still have the top aluminium cover acting as an EMI shield, so there should be no point in using that extra layer :)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

2 laptop smpsu for +-19v 2x lm3886 on amd cpu heatsink with small fan , i think it is around 20w*2 and it gets barely warm on normal listening

Here's my first electronics project, pretty much buttoned up. It's a pair of LM1875 chips built with BrianGT's kit and the standard Avel transformer. The enclosure is sort of a cobbled-together prototypical thing since I wanted it done in time for a party this weekend; I was inspired by Make magazine to build a powered speaker to use in the fabrication shop where I work, and I was going to base it on the Monobox but the more I looked at the Monobox the more I felt it was underpowered. I started looking around for alternatives and decided a Gainclone was just the ticket. Then I started to realize that the Gainclone is way overkill for a shop stereo (what with all the machine noise and forklifts and stuff), so it's probably gonna live at home with me since it's nicer than my current receiver while I figure out an even cheaper shop solution.

IMG_4769.jpg
Here's the thing assembled. Down the line it's gonna get a custom aluminum enclosure, since it runs pretty hot and takes up more space than it needs to.

IMG_4774.jpg
And here's the guts. It being my first project, a lot of it is pretty amateurish (the back panel isn't drilled at the right height for the LM's through-holes, meaning that the PCB base sits at a slight angle). There's a lot of solder and electrical tape where there should instead be crimped terminals and heatshrink, the LED is just floating in there, I accidentally only bought one set of speaker terminals so there's a pair of output wires temporarily sticking out the top, etc, but it works!

An idea is to build it into a water-(and beer-)resistant Al case and do the same with a pair of speakers that'll latch on for transportation, but it took about 30 hours to build this thing so it's time for a lil break from DIY projects (not a very long break, though. this was really satisfying).

I've learned a ton and gotten a lot of really good ideas from reading threads here, so thanks for that! I'll try to return the favor by posting more pics when the enclosure gets rebuilt.