Opamp layout rules

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I have a few questions concerning proper (or maybe optimum :angel: ) physical layout of an opamp circuit with not-so-easy to tame chips and tiny input signals.
1) What to do with internally-not-connected-pins? Should they be grounded or left floating?
2) If I use a groundplane, is it wise to have the area under the chip grounded, or better leave it out? (I've seen both)
3) The datasheet of opa627 says to use a guard ring around the inverting input. Is that guard referenced to ground?
thanks,
Rüdiger

1 Leave them be, safest also in the future if you want to use some other type. Notice that in some case like TPA6120 you should connect them in order to get better cooling but as always, read the datasheet carefully.

2 It's normally not a problem. One square centimeter = 3 pF only. This is valid for to areas of the same shape. In real life you are dealing with a fraction of a pF. In some cases it is important but not in normal audio circuits.

3 This is only important for high impedance signal sources, >> 1MOhms forget it in audio circuits, but no harm to use it either.

peranders said:

The picture shows a groundplane on the "solderside" plus an another one on the "component side" which didn't get connected 100% right but now it's fixed.

Yes, it's clear you have two groundplanes. What I don't see is, where do C6/C13 go, as it on the photo it *looks* like the pads are not connected to either groundplane.
Rüdiger

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.