Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Input capacitor on BrianGT amplifier?
Input capacitor on BrianGT amplifier?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th March 2006, 10:09 AM   #11
Nordic is offline Nordic  South Africa
diyAudio Member

lol, yeah the bigger the better, in my book.
In fact, when I chose my new input caps, what made me took the one over the other, with all other specs the same, was that the ampohm cap was half a centimeter thicker.

I can only recommend part no. 365-7479 from RS components, as I have not yet tried other brands (all of which would be more expensive due to audiphile phenomena).

It is a low ESR 630V DC cap with 5% tollerance it would measure about 2 by 1 inch.

The arcotronix one from RS (384-7868), also looks worth wile, but on values larger than 1uF, is a bit more expensive than the ampohm ones.
Old 16th March 2006, 09:17 PM   #12
Tweeker is offline Tweeker  United States
diyAudio Member

Overture design guide may help you.

Rin and Cin are the relevant fields and set the high pass frequency. With a 2.5uF or bigger cap and 20k ohm+ input impedance I get 3.4hz as the -3dB low frequency roll off. I dont think I'd go bigger than 2.7uF or so. Rather buy a better smaller cap. If there just isnt money for film and foil, go met poly, you can upgrade later with care.

Bigger is not necessarily better, though it can be. It is not the only factor at play. Too big can lead to excessive inductance.
Old 16th March 2006, 10:00 PM   #13
Dominick22 is offline Dominick22  United States
diyAudio Member

If someone is looking for big caps, I have some cheap 25,000uf and 30,000uf caps that I am selling.

They might be good to experiment with. I am only asking $15.00 with all accesories included=shipping!

Check the trading post.
Dominick
Old 16th March 2006, 11:09 PM   #14
Tweeker is offline Tweeker  United States
diyAudio Member

Enjoyed the Bong Recreation Area lately Chipco?

Input capacitor on BrianGT amplifier?Hide this!Advertise here!