PC sound card sound chips

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
:bigeyes: pardon the heresy ... has any one thought of hard wiring a
PC sound chip and be able to use all the goodies like surround sound 7.1 and dolby xxx .... and then do our thing!! like just build the final amplifier??? .... I started playing with electronics again after 25 years,
( going to college ) and by looking at all the goodies out there it is simply much less work and a lot cheaper to hardwire a PC sound card trough the PCI bus ..... I mean it only needs the correct voltage and ground .... and you can feed the signal trough the CD-DVD connector

One question that has been bouncing on my head is ..... since there are so many capacitors to choose from which are best for linear use
???????????? given for example a .1uF .....

Have you looked closely at a souncard lately?
Since Creative killed off the serious consumer competition, quality has not been top priority.
My Audigy 2 NX USB has a 32 bit cpu on board, but the codecs are a STAC9460S and a UDA1334 for side/headphone
Opamps are 33078s and a JRC4556A for headphone.

4 crystals and a switcher on board is asking for jitter problems.

kaluchka said:
:bigeyes: pardon the heresy ... has any one thought of hard wiring a
PC sound chip and be able to use all the goodies like surround sound 7.1 and dolby xxx .... and then do our thing!! like just build the final amplifier??? .... I started playing with electronics again after 25 years,
( going to college ) and by looking at all the goodies out there it is simply much less work and a lot cheaper to hardwire a PC sound card trough the PCI bus ..... I mean it only needs the correct voltage and ground .... and you can feed the signal trough the CD-DVD connector
Can you elaborate on exactly what you are trying to do? Amplify, filter, or something else? You lost me there...

Damn, this thread is old, but it came up when I searched. It would seem he was thinking about the same thing that I was thinking about, which is basically "lampizating" a sound card.

I'd assume it would be fairly similar to what happens with DAC in a cd player, you just find the output taps you want to use and wire it to a good output stage.

Anyone ever do anything like this?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.