stepped attenuator impedance

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello.

ive ordered one of these

http://www.diyfidelity.com.au/produ...id=32&osCsid=d195e3b914967cc36d4ea9ce45cc303f

i chose 100K impedence cause thats what was suggested on the decibel dungeon site. Its for my to-be-built dual mono 3886 (brianGT).

Since reading the post about pots
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40676

i saw Peter used 50K impedence pots, and i assume the same for the attenuator, im worried that my attenuator is too high a value?

Should i call em up and hope they havn't shipped yet or will it be ok. I was planning just passive.

Thanks

Joined 2002
Paid Member
hi troublecomes,

I would have selected the 25K or 10K version although I haven't done extensive testing. The attentuator I am building is 20K so I'll be interested in the outcome. My current preamp uses 25K.

I am using a 100K pot on a test rig and I find I have to rotate it a long way to get reasonable volume. I have assumed the value is the problem but I'm open to be enlightened. :D

So I would put a hold on until the jury returns the verdict. :confused:

regards

I just finished my Dual Mono LM4780 kit from Peter Daniel and I used a 10k Pot. I dont have a good understanding of Pots, but I only turn it about a quarter of the way around to get the desired listening level usually. Sometimes a little more/less. It works well and I am happy with it.

Hope this helps,
Dominick

Previous to the SA, I was using an Alps 10K pot, I could only use approximately one quarter turn to arrive at a comfortabe listening level
with the SA it will turn a bit more than one half, this gives more low level control as well as much improved sound and better channel to channel tracking. I really like this attenuator.

I have used 50K noble pot, a 10K taiwan pot and recently a 100K Radio Shack pot on my Gainclone. For the 10K, you turn a little it get loud a lot. For 100K, you need to turn more to get comparable level but as someone said, you get more margin to control the low volume. 50k is more or less in between those two. I think the 100K works fine for me, and I'd never turn to max.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.