LM3886 vs TDA7294

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
:smash: Hi there,i'm eager to build this 7294's amp to compare with my LM3886.3886 has a great sound but i don't know about TDA 7294 sound. Can 7294 beat 3886??i still don't know. Some people said that 7294 better than 3886.:smash: But, i still very happy with my gainclone 3886.:smash:
regards
---------
TomZ

It's different. 7294 is more flat throughout audio band. It's also a bipolar vs mosfet issue here. Mosfet amp doesn't easily satisfy listener. It needs suitable driver and may be speaker, and of course specific requirement.

Most listener (about 70% I guess) will prefer the 3886. But I like 7294 better than 3875. Haven't done a "fair" comparison with 3886 tho. I guess most listener will prefer 3886 over 3875

Hi thomgun,

Please remember that ICs have "classes". The worst class is fake IC. Almost all (famous) IC you can get in the market (Jakarta especially) is not first class. So beware of that.

3886/3875 is available only during last year. And I haven't seen a bad "class" of 3886 yet. But 7294 has been in the market for so many years.

:smash: Hi Jay!! How was ur project?After u said to me if u like TDA7294's sound, i want to try that chip. After search some article i found that this chip is DMOS. Maybe i will get the sound of a MOSFET with a simple schematic.;)
Maybe this cheap can beat LM3886's chip.
But, the biggest problem about this project, there is many fake chip. Difficult to find original chip.
Jay,is TDA7294 a very common IC in our country?
:smash:
regards
---------
TomZ

;) Ok JAY.But,it is difficult to find the original 7294.
I got 3886's IC from my friend which order this ic from NATIONAL directly.So,I'm sure i got original 3886.It's dangerous if our system using fake IC. The worst case is, this fake IC can be explode.

How to know which is original and fake IC?:confused:

Joined 2002
Paid Member
7294 has higher power and drive capability than 3886. Also very very robust chips, specially if they're genuine (Elektor had some kits, those chips are 100% genuine) - mine has lasted about 8 years, driving different types of speakers and now doing bass amp duty in a band...

However it's horses for courses, and since they're not too expensive to build, ideally you should build both and check which one you prefer. I myself prefer building 7294 for others and National's line for myself. That way I get to tell people - 'These are the chips in the famous BOSE Acoustimass system' and they go 'Ahhhhhhh'. I bet they'll think that 47Labs is some cheap roadside outfit. :)

Hi thomgun,

If you can source IC through direct order to manufacturer or by internet purchase, why not try the Tripath TA2020? The PCB design will be very challenging, especially for you ;)

But I haven't heard that 7294 has 2 versions...

Fake transistors (may be IC also I'm not sure) in my experience has worse maximum allowable voltage/current. So, as far as you aren't those bassmen, you should be save (except for the sound quality :D). Hey, high supply voltage often means worse audio quality! Beside the PSSR issue, lower supply tend to be mellow, more like tube amp hehehe.

jaudio said:

According to the application notes the power supply voltage are about the same and there is a 1.5 amp difference in current.

tda7294 +/-40 10A
lm3886 +/-42 11.5A

lm3886 might deliver more power.

The power in 3886 is limited by the built-in current limiting circuit. So I guess 7294 can go higher with acceptable result.

Jaudio is right, the LM3886 has more current, around the same power and lower distortion.
The problem is always the same, on the TDA datasheet they put on the first page '100V - 100W DMOS AUDIO AMPLIFIER'.
Well, +/-50V (100V) is max supply voltage, no signal.
100W is 'Music power'.

:clown:

For what it is worth...

I've had a set of Altec Lansing ACS48 2.1 computer speakers for over 7 years now, and I accidentally blew out the midrange speakers over the weekend. I disassembled the amplifier to discover that it is powered by three discrete TDA7294s and has an Avel Lindberg 17V 160VA torodial transformer inside.

I can tell you that these have been EXCELLENT set of speakers. Very quiet, good range and a nearly flat response. I did have to use EQ to correct the upper end of the mids and the bottom end of the treble (less than a 3db boost, but uniform across the affected area), but I blame this COMPLETELY on the cheap speaker cones inside the unit.

I am currently building an LM3875 Gainclone, but will now also try to source new speakers for this busted computer amp. Perhaps I can post a useful comparison in the near future.

jaudio said:
Jay What is the max current for the LM3886?
So as far power pay no attention to the application notes?

Hi jaudio, I'm afraid Carlos has the answer regarding the 100V-100W :clown: :clown:

Actually I had compared by ears that 3886 sounded louder than 7294. This is with 10V secondaries where I can drive the amps without volume control. But my concern is whether we have equal plafonds (maximums) for both chips.

Given an 3886, I will happily put a bet that when an acceptable (don't know, THD 10%? Just before clipping) music is played with 3886, with +/-42V, the 11.5 amperes is never achieved. My poin is, I won't (yet) take those numbers as their maximum capability.

thomgun_lc said:
:smash: Hi there,i'm eager to build this 7294's amp to compare with my LM3886.3886 has a great sound but i don't know about TDA 7294 sound. Can 7294 beat 3886??i still don't know. Some people said that 7294 better than 3886.:smash: But, i still very happy with my gainclone 3886.:smash:
regards
---------
TomZ

tda7294 has already beaten 3886.its a great ic.very very robust.it forgives errors and it sounds EXCELLENT.
response is flat throughout the band.70w continous.crystal clear sound ,not 'painted' like 3886 which is heavier on bass.
only a single anomally,its difficult to solder bec of less seperation b/w pins.but the pain taken to solder is worth it.

someone said 'louder' to his ears.my advise,plz check the connections properly.
i built 3 of each.halted further 'production' of 3886 bec all those who listened,voted in favour of mosfets.

my vote goes to tda7294.its greatest.

thomgun::::::::plz dont use so many smilies.they irk.

sagarverma said:

tda7294 has already beaten 3886.its a great ic.very very robust.it forgives errors and it sounds EXCELLENT.

I have yet to have a lm3886 fail.
sagarverma said:
70w continous.crystal clear sound ,not 'painted' like 3886 which is heavier on bass.

I cant speak to that, it is an opinion.
sagarverma said:

i built 3 of each.halted further 'production' of 3886 bec all those who listened,voted in favour of mosfets.
I almost always have mosfets is the chain but I can easily remove it, if the sound gets a little to laid back

sagarverma said:

my vote goes to tda7294.its greatest.

If you are happy Im happy for you.

I have yet to have a lm3886 fail.

change that to tda7294 for me.one lm failed and took my $100 woofer along with it.

I cant speak to that, it is an opinion.

i have done tests.plz know all b4 discrediting.its not opinion but hard fact based on measurements.
lm had 50w continous.

If you are happy Im happy for you.

i m really very very satisfied with this wonder chip from great company ST Microelectronics.

sagarverma said:

response is flat throughout the band.70w continous.crystal clear sound ,not 'painted' like 3886 which is heavier on bass.

Please show me the test especially the one for "painted" and heavier bass. And as far as the way it sound,I still say the an opinion. I could be sitting in the same room as you and not like the way the TDA7294 sound. That would be my opinion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.