Double rail PSU, double ground rail connexion ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm currently building my LM4780's PSU, based on a double diode bridge, hence involving two ground rails , one per side.

The question is : how should they be connected together ?

- immediately at the rectifiers pins ?
- before the filtering caps
- before the snubber caps
- at the PSU terminals
- at the star ground ?
- on the chip's bypass caps pins ?

I've seen several schematics over the forum and the net but none of them precises how and why the ground rails must be connected.

On Carlos fm's High-cap PSU, the grounds of the rectifiers are immediately connected together, whereas on Per Anders PSU, they are connected at the chip's PSU bypass caps pins.

Any enlightment would be greatly appreciated :smash: :D

:hot:
You connect + from one bridge to - from the other bridge. This makes the ground.
This is assuming that you are using a trafo with independent secondaries.

If you look at my schematic, - from B1 is connected to + on B2.

Attachments

• cfm chipamp unregulated psu_mkivse.png
    cfm chipamp unregulated psu_mkivse.png
    19.5 KB · Views: 313
OK so I directly connect the grounds together as soon as I can, i.e on the rectifier's pins.

I have a trafo with dual secondaries, unless I would have used a single bridge.

I see you have brought some modifications to your snubberized PSU !

What is the advantage of using some 1R resistors in series with the rest of the PSU ? Doesn't it dramatically decreases the damping factor of the PSU ??

Also, I see you no more use the 100mfd + 100nf on the chip's pins, and came back to the bigger 1500 or 2200mfd.

I currently have 10 panasonic FC caps : is it better to put them all on the PSU board or keep some on the chip's pins ?

Thx for help :cool: !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.