Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Gainclone project for apprenticeship..
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th June 2005, 12:32 AM   #11
lgreen is offline lgreen  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Sure you can

I know you could build a GC on veroboard within that budget-- I've done it myself. Can't find it? click here and look at the "1st" or "old" version.

OK, I'm probably over that budget but my transformer was really expensive.
I built one with:
2 LM3886
2 voltage regulators
2 INA134 differenential receivers.

Hmm....I have a pcb for the INA's, but this can be easily done on veroboard; I just made the pcb for the fun of designing it.

If you don't want balanced inputs put in a buffer instead of the INA134s. A JFET buffer is around here somewhere.
Old 30th June 2005, 11:00 AM   #12
OFI is offline OFI  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Cheers for the help how did you know BCE... stalker...
I'll have a look at the links posted it would be nice to include the preamp and toner control really but obviously if the budget is stretching then i'll just make it simple. Might take you up on that offer for the chips and caps have to have some words because they're suggesting we only order from rswww.com because QinetiQ has an account with them but I know others are sourcing components from elsewhere. I'm pretty sure the diodes in the power supply would be enough to cover almost all of the semiconductor requirement as that has been a big part of our recent classes. I think I need to read up on these buffers and some decent transformers (as I can see the transformer will be the most expensive part!)
To e honest I think i'd get away with veroboard for the power supply and then hard wiring some of the rest but obviously I have to make this as neat and as safe as possible.
Just wish they'd let us use the pcb facilities
Old 30th June 2005, 12:50 PM   #13
jimbo1968 is offline jimbo1968  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Consider yourself lucky to have been given a budget and separate PSU requirements. That will save you hours/days/weeks of pondering different layouts
Old 30th June 2005, 01:45 PM   #14
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
it would be nice to include the preamp and toner control
I thought you were making a gainclone, not a photocopier!
Old 30th June 2005, 02:03 PM   #15
BrianDonegan is offline BrianDonegan  United States
diyAudio Member

Check out using the Dallas DS1802 digital volume control (previously mentioned) along with the Quantum QTouch chips (http://www.qprox.com/products/qtouch.php). I am implimenting this setup for my pre (one chip each for volume up/down, one for mute, and one in toggle mode driving a relay for power).

They are $1 US each from DigiKey. I got a few and played with them over the weekend. Having one drive an LED right now: 1 chip, 1 10nF cap, one LED. Works great in both toggle and pulse modes.

You can mount the sensor pads (anything really) behind wood, glass, etc.
Old 30th June 2005, 02:04 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

bleh :P

On a side note where can I order materials for the case? My mind has just gone blank on suppliers in the UK just looking for alu sheet really and obviously not large amounts and possibly some drilled if im going to make a similar design to above, might just be easier to find somewhere local...
Old 30th June 2005, 02:06 PM   #17
richie00boy is offline richie00boy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Can you get some scraps of sheet and even the fabricating/cutting done in the workshops?
Old 30th June 2005, 02:09 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

I might be able to grab a few scraps but theres not much left in our building since they shut all the machines down.. main workshops might have something though. Would seem stupid to pay for someone to do it when we have the kit here I guess...
Old 30th June 2005, 05:19 PM   #19
asgorath is offline asgorath  United States
diyAudio Member

For an amp I'm working on, there are a few little additions to the gainclone that will up the chip count.

I'm using a few Maxim iButton touch buttons PN#DS9092L for a few different purposes on my amp face. They are basically a center conductor with a LED in the middle surrounded by some blue nylon insulation and an outer conductor. I'm using these with the notion that if you put your finger across the conductor a small voltage can pass through the skin of the finger to act like a switch.

3 buttons that you touch to change inputs. This will require both a few transistors to run a touch switch and a digital 3 way (or more) audio switch.

1 button for on/off of the amp. I haven't decided if this should fully shut off the amp, or just put it on mute and have a physical switch in the back. Again, this will take a few more transistors and some more logic chips and maybe something like an SCR to control high current.

I personally don't like push button up and down volume. If you decide to do a digital audio pot then I recommend letting it have memory to save your volume when you turn off your amp.

If you want digital volume you should build it off an optical encoder so you can have a knob.
Old 1st July 2005, 01:10 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Ok 1am.. just had an idea for the case... mount it in an old console case there are no shortage of broken PS2's on ebay for instance:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...202451862&rd=1

They are pretty cheap really just rip everything out then and get mounting

Thoughts? problems?

For it to work well I think you would need to mount everything discretely at th eack and maybe only a small black knob at the front I dunno...

Gainclone project for apprenticeship..Hide this!Advertise here!