LM338 regulated snubberized PSU for audio amplifiers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here it is.
Results are impressive, this elevates the chipamp to a league of it's own.:cool:

:att'n: Notice that I recommend 1,000~2,200uf caps on the chips, snubberized.:att'n:
I'm using 2,200uf.

This regulated PSU is good for two chips (LM3886, etc.).

As a side note, this is not only a PSU for chip amps.
There are discrete class-A amps around that use the LM338 regs.
These amps will also benefit from the snubber.
No, let me put it this way: every regulated PSU benefits from a snubber. ;)

The values for the snubber were calculated for the LM338's output impedance. Don't ask me how, I won't reveal it.

Enjoy.:cool:

Attachments

• cfm lm338 regulated snubberized psu.png
    cfm lm338 regulated snubberized psu.png
    22.9 KB · Views: 14,615
homer09 said:
I knew you wouldnt resist sharing your most recent recipe :D
how does this supply compare to non-regulated high-cap snubbed PSU?
Is this the new chip amp PSU king :eek: ?

This is it.;)
I couldn't help but sharing...:clown:

cjd said:
Now, if I could run four chips off this... ;) X-GC using a pair of LM4780's per side, you know? (the chips showed up today in the mail finally!)
Wonder what the flavor of the month will be next month. Discrete? ;)
C

I was thinking in paralleling, but results are so impressive with this PSU and single chips that I'm not doing it.
Deam it, this stereo power amp sounds better with my speakers than a Krell integrated (used as a power amp) I had at home last week.:eek:
What's on my plans for soon is to make two small monoblocks with two chips each for bi-amping my Epos ES11 speakers.

I will tell a friend to try it on a stereo bridged LM4780 amp.
(my PSU is not regulated)

I hope to have news tomorrow.
Since you don't tell the miraculous formula, I will tell him to buy thousands of caps and resistors to find out the best combination :D LOL :dead:

XELB said:
I will tell a friend to try it on a stereo bridged LM4780 amp.
(my PSU is not regulated)

I hope to have news tomorrow.
Since you don't tell the miraculous formula, I will tell him to buy thousands of caps and resistors to find out the best combination :D LOL :dead:

:confused: :drunk:

You have a complete PSU schematic with the right values.
What do you want more?:confused:

:crazy:

You got me... :dead: I was with hope that you would tell! :p LOL :D

[inocent] :goodbad: [/inocent]

If you say that this one is much better, I will give it a try but I only have 8,600uF caps.

What electronic House you recommend in Lisboa ?
I will have to buy some parts.

XELB said:
If you say that this one is much better, I will give it a try but I only have 8,600uF caps.

That's not important, those are fine.
On this PSU you should have around 10V more voltage before the regs, so there's plenty of voltage to sag.
After the regs, the voltage is steady as a rock, of course.;)
Big capacitance is not needed, 4,700uf is fine, or up to 10,000uf.

XELB said:
What electronic House you recommend in Lisboa ?
I will have to buy some parts.

In Lisboa you have Dimofel and some others, but not too good for decent parts. Sometimes you find them, but you have to search.
There's a guy in Cacem that has Philips caps is almost all values, and 1% film resistors.
It's on the main street, on the Bons Amigos (I think it's called this way) shopping center.

Re: Re: LM338 regulated snubberized PSU for audio amplifiers

mateo88 said:
If you pretend the power supply is a speaker and calculate a zobel for it, that gets you in the general ballpark. Mess around with the values a little to see what works best.

I don't feel like messing around, it's fine as it is.
Try it with these values.
Then you can try other values, but I doubt you can improve this...

In Lisboa you have Dimofel and some others, but not too good for decent parts. Sometimes you find them, but you have to search.
There's a guy in Cacem that has Philips caps is almost all values, and 1% film resistors.
It's on the main street, on the Bons Amigos (I think it's called this way) shopping center.

At the beginning, I went to Dimofel but know I go to a small store between Areeiro and Alameda. They sell 4,700uF NA caps, 2.50€ each. ( I don't know if it's a nice price)

LM3886 costs 5€.

But the last time I went there I bought 6,800uF caps :bawling: :smash:

mateo88 said:
I'm not saying the values aren't great as they are, I'm just saying that's how you can calculate the values. I don't know if you tried these values yet, but 1 ohm and .1 uf look like good values to correct the impedance issues above 1 mhz.

I'm lowering the impedance at a much lower frequency.
1R+100nf is what I recommended for the unregulated PSU, and it's fine for that.

That's cool, I'm not trying to say that you're wrong or anything. I'm just trying to say that you can calculate the snubber by calculating a zobel network based on the output impedance of a power supply.

Just letting people know how to calculate the snubber so they can do it on their own and experiment with values that their ears agree with.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.