resistors for paralleling

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am building a gainclone with 2 LM3875's per channel, and as I understand it I need to run 0.22 ohm resistors in series with the outputs of the amps.

I am also not sure about the watt rating of them, using the overture design spreadsheet i get 4.94 Amps. This going through a 0.22 watt resistor would be 5.5 watts (P=I^2 * R)

I also understand that I will need 1% tolerance, does anyone know what type (i.e. wire wound, metal oxide), to get or where to get them?
I see Digikey has an aluminum housed wire wound 0.2 ohm 10 watt, would this work?
It looks tough to find a 0.22 ohm resistor with a high enough wattage rating.

Any help would be appreciated

These are current sharing resistors. If you are going by the BPA 200 Application Note from National, they should be .1 ohm/1%/5 watt resistors.

The resistors spec'd on the datasheet are available here:

http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?han...uctid=238361&e_categoryid=356&e_pcodeid=71010

If you still want to go with the .22 ohm resistor, the closest you'll find is this:

http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?han...uctid=238064&e_categoryid=356&e_pcodeid=71010

Basically mouser carries the .2 or .25 ohm/5 watt Dale's.

Good luck.

I would say that matching is more important than the actual value in this case. If it was me, I'd go with the .25 so that I could be slightly less careful about matching the chips.

Edit: Then again, since the DS calls for .10, maybe you should go on the smaller side. Any reason you're choosing .22?
--
Danny

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
azira said:
I would say that matching is more important than the actual value in this case. If it was me, I'd go with the .25 so that I could be slightly less careful about matching the chips.

Edit: Then again, since the DS calls for .10, maybe you should go on the smaller side. Any reason you're choosing .22?
--
Danny

The resistors that I referred to were 1% 0.1ohm 5w, which should be fine. When I first got them, I put them on an expensive benchtop LCR meter, and they were quite close in value to each other. (less than 1%)

--
Brian

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
ejn327 said:
I just looked through the BPA 200 application.
I have 2 of the briangt kits ordered to parallel. Is there a reason that he specifies using 0.22 ohm resistors for parallel configuration and the BPA 200 specifies 0.1 ohm?

With regards to the instruction manual, this was created before the LM4870 kits, and the 0.22 ohm resistor was listed in the manual, since it was what Jeff Rowland used in his earlier Concentra amps (bridged parallel setup:
http://www.jeffrowland.com/review16b.htm

My current recommendation is 0.1ohm resistors, as they seem to work good with the LM4780 kits, and are recommended by National. I will change the manual to reflect this when I complete the next revision.

--
Brian

Figures that while i am posting a reply there are 3 new answers.
Thanks for the help guys, I ended up getting the Vishay/Dale 5W 1% Low Value Power Resistors. I got a few extra to get a better chance at matching.
How are you measuring the values? I have a fluke at home but I don't think it has a high enough resolution.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.