my first try at a LM3886 layout, any comments/suggestions?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The above quote from Peter Daniel is by the owner of a commercial Audio retailer.
He developed his early amplifiers based on chipamps using a very high efficiency speaker (~96dB/W @ 1m, 4ohms multi-way speaker load).
His "system" is quite different from most that buy into his philosophy.
Be careful with how you interpret his advertising.

It seems I'm late getting to the game. I perused the 29 pages of the thread, and nearly all pictures and links are dead, missing, and broken.

I have acquired a lot of DIY Audio amp parts from a co-worker who inherited it from his father.. needless to say, there is very little documentation, notes or otherwise to go with it.

I have found there to be two of BrianGT's LM3886 rev.1 PCB's as well as a "power supply PCB" rev.1 among other items in the bins. The parts for the LM3886's are scrambled with a plethora of other parts in one bin, while the parts for the Power Supply is contained in a single bag with the PCB, though unassembled. Would there be any assembly diagrams or that I can get to go along with the boards? Merely to reference which value components are intended for which holes. I understand the option of using or skipping the DC offset cap, and I can work out a general electrical theory from data sheet schematics... I was just wondering if someone had an easier way of figuring this all out.

www.chipamp.com forwards to this site,
www.briangt.com is up for sale and the Domain Host has quick links to other sites,

-----------------------------------

To MartyBoy about Peter Daniels post..

What he's talking about is the design of the power supply for an amp, and the inherent limitations from particular designs. Some designs allow for powerfull bass, while others are more suited towards crisp highs. While there are some amps that do cover both well, for those that are really into getting the best of both worlds, there are speaker designs that split the speaker into two parts, electrically separated. In those cases, you can use an amplifier that is good at powerful bass to run just the sub-woofer, while a separate amplifier that is more suited to clear crisp high range, is connected to just the tweeters.

For most people, this arrangement might be a bit excessive..

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
Hello,

I apologize for the current state of Chipamp. I transferred ownership to a friend of mine (Allan Waters) in 2013, and he has fallen off and not responded to my mails. I have repeatedly tried to get him to respond and take better care of communication and operation of Chipamp over the past year, without success.

I have attached the gerber files for the LM1875 and LM3886 designs, if anyone wishes to create boards. I consider these designs to be public domain at this point, and those who wish to use them are free to. I consider the LM3875 design to be property of Peter Daniel, and the miniAleph design to be property of Pass Labs.

As for the domain name, Allan stopped paying for the domain name, and let it expire. It was still in my name, and I went through the redemption process to avoid the domain going back up for auction. If anyone has interest in the domain name, let me know.

Sorry again for for the state of Chipamp. I have had no material involvement in Chipamp for the past 4 years, and had hoped that Allan would have done well with it, but it seems like that was not the case.

Hope all is well.

--
Brian

Attachments

• lm1875-pcb.zip
    34.5 KB · Views: 320
  • lm3886-amp.zip
    29.9 KB · Views: 398
  • lm3886-ps.zip
    32.1 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.