help with chip preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
simple preamp

Hi.
As Alcaid suggested, the PMA -Pavel Macura- buffer alternative is a very good one. Check out if you need some gain, ´cause the system in the picture doesn´t have any. But it´s easy to re-arrange and convert it in a preamp. Check out Burr Brown´s appl.note ¨combining an amplifier with the buf634¨ in the link below.

I´m using something very similar, with a gain of 2.5, based on opa602ap. The BUF634 runs in high bandwidth mode -with little heatsinks attached, because in that config. the chip gets real hot-.

I recommend you with great confidence the OPA602: it´s not too picky a chip to use in this application, very stable and with excelent dynamics, but paradoxically with a superbly smooth sound. You´ll never get tired of it.

I have checked OPA134, 604 and 627 too. The latter is very, very good and revealing. But I happen to like more the 602.
If you use some sockets, you can change opas and make decisions more easily.
Enjoy!

PS: the link,
http://focus.ti.com/lit/an/sboa065/sboa065.pdf[/URL]

chip preamp II

Jaudio, why don´t you try something very simple? -I mean a single opamp in some basic configuration, be it inverting or non inverting (it's up to your liking).
Previous to my experience with the opa/buf combo, I tried a simple topology for opa627: non inverting, gain 3, 2uF input cap, 100 k input impedance, 50ohms output resistor...
Add a good regulated PSU, +/-15v , with some fancy 2200 uF reservoir caps, and with good decoupling close to the chip -some paralleled 100n and 100uF from each opamp psu pin to ground-, and maybe you´ll get something interesting.
I have had very good results with that scheme. If you only need to feed a normal input impedance power amp with not very long interconnecting cables, you can skip the use of buffer chips.
Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.