LM386 but on AC?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is there such a thing as an amp similar to the LM386 but made to operate on AC? I'm looking for such an animal to be powered by about 6 to 13VAC. DC is almost out of the question because of AC hum. I don't want to use a diode and cap to supply DC if I don't have to. . Just thought I'd ask.

Sorry for the confusion. My original question was, is there a small chip amp SIMILAR to an LM386 that operates on AC. In my mind they have everything else so I thought there might be one with it's own built in DC "power supply" that would run on AC. "One diode and one cap is a problem" ...no, but it needs either to be isolated from the underside of this transmitter or encased in a metal can. It picks up hum. I've tried it. This is a one tube transmitter and I wanted to hide it. I guess I could put the whole thing in an IF can on top to keep with the antique theme.

The only things that can run from AC are resistive heat makers (like heaters and filament lights and stoves), some kinds of motors, and flourescent and neon type lights. Every single other thing that you plug into an AC line has a built-in power supply to convert AC to DC. You'll need to do the same.

If you are picking up a lot of hum, use a bigger filter cap. Try using a regulator. You said you have 13 VAC, so after rectification that is about 18 VDC, which is far too high for the LM386 anyway. The regulator will significantly reduce the AC ripple on the power supply for the LM386.

You can't run an amplifier directly on AC. If you did, it wouldn't work, and you would get hum in the speaker, and most likely fry the amp.

Just use a small diode bridge rectifier and a filter cap when you make your amp, so you can power your amp with AC because it gets converted to DC.

[/thread]

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.