GC lacking power

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No. The protection sounds NASTY and it will be obvious that it's kicking in. And it will take at least a few secs for the thermal protection to kick in as well.

I reckon the gain is wrong. Check the resistors that determine the gain.

There is the alternative small possibility that the input impedance is too low hence attenuating the input signal too much, a wrong value resistor again.

There is the alternative small possibility that the input impedance is too low hence attenuating the input signal too much, a wrong value resistor again.

possible but not likely, if driven from the ipod's headphone out, the output has enough driving ability.

I'm guessing, the wrong value for the gain setting resistors. double check those to be sure. BTW, what values did you use for those?

Chris8sirhC said:
my younger brother just finished putting together his GC and he has it hooked up to this speaker but it doesnt even have enough power (with no volume selector even attatched) to get that speaker to a normal quiet listening level? what could be wrong?

what's the voltage on the +/- rails? Plug into this spreadsheet the device you are using (3875?) and rail voltage and you can see how much power to expect out of the device:
http://www.national.com/appinfo/audio/files/Overture_Design_Guide13.xls

I'm pretty sure its a resistor problem from what everyone has described. I let him read through this and he is now out in the garage with the soldering iron heating up... At one point when we switched some stuff around, im pretty sure we heard the thermal warning thing bc the sound started switching on and off real quick and the chip was burning hot as soon as we turned it on. I think in that case something had gotten wired wrong.

well i wont be able to find out for a while, bc he's convinced he is going to fry it from overheating if he tests it out without a giant class A heatsink. What we are using now is about 1/8'' thick, a foot long and half a foot wide. Before we switched some stuff around that time, it barely got warm after two songs. ill let you know if switching the resistors worked whenever we get to test it

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.