Magnet Wire

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've meant to ask this quite a few times, and seeing a comment by Peter in another thread reminded me.

I've heard many people say they prefer Magnet Wire for Hook-Up Wire in Amps.

My questions are, what's everyone's brand of choice/favorite place to buy? I see that it's not uncommon to see 100foot spools going for dirt cheap.

Also, any special way you like to use it? I'm assuming maybe leave it bare on the output and input side, and put some TFE tubing over it everywhere else?

magnet wire is insulated with a tough lacquer. common advice is dip it in a soldering pot to strip. if you don't have one, here's a thread on the subject.

http://www.ikarus-modellbau.de/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=394348&Main=394165

i've only used the cheap stuff for interconnects and speaker wire. (nice results, and certainly can't beat the price.) just takes a few wipes with an emery board to strip, but you do have to be careful you're not reshaping the wire. it also needs to have a high contrast colour so you can be sure you've removed it.

I've used the following product from Newark and have been happy:

NEWARK INONE PART No: 05H7552 ; Enamel Magnet Wire, Gauge: 20, Approximate Length: 75 feet, Temperature Range: -30-+80 DegC, Insulation: Enamel, Used for: Making custom coils, transformers etc QUANTITY: 1 @ $6.14 = $6.14

Even though it is insulated, I slip it inside the following teflon spagetti tubing from McMaster Carr:

5335K14 - PTFE Spaghetti Tubing, $0.15/ft, .038" ID, .012" Wall Thick, 19 Awg

If you're interested in trying silver, there's a gentleman on the DIY forum at headfi.org that is doing some group orders for solid core, teflon coated that is coming at at a bit less than $1.00 per foot.

thomas997 said:
I just use some solid copper (teflon insulated) cable found in a piece of CAT5e.
I was going to do that with some left over Cat5e cable from some home automation but I don't need plenum for whole house and a 1000' spool costs a fortune.

Anyone ever try Belden Beldsol? It solders without removing insulation.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.