Burson Vivid V6 ~ Shell

I'm trying to remove the shell from the burson without success, any suggestion? (i would like to avoid any extension)

Seems natural to remove the shell from their site but honestly they are hard attached

V6-S31.jpg

Last edited:

Attachments

• 20210930_165358 2.jpg
    20210930_165358 2.jpg
    991.5 KB · Views: 317
  • 20210930_165436.jpg
    20210930_165436.jpg
    584.7 KB · Views: 309
I have already x2 Vivid Single and x2 Vivid Dual to replace the old opamps in the AE9.
I managed to remove the shell, cutter+specific oil to cut thru, everything went smooth.
I'm going to replace the stock pins with 0.5mm silver cable and solder everything directly to the AE9 while making the connections as short as possible.
I would like to know if they are the best opamps available rightnow for the Soundblaster AE9, plus if possible i would like to know if i could change any component to get some improvements over the stock ones (capacitors, others than only opamp)
Will post pictures once i finished the first job (opamps replacement)

(fullsized image) soundblaster-ae9 — ImgBB

soundblaster-ae9.png

Last edited:
THD of the Bursons from their datasheet is 0.02%, The AE9 DACs boast 0.0001% THD - so you can radically downgrade the card if you like.

I'd suggest something like OPA1656's on breakout boards might suit it, that's giving 0.00003% THD, about 700 times less distortion than the Bursons, way way cheaper (even with a SOIC breakout board!)

THD of the Bursons from their datasheet is 0.02%, The AE9 DACs boast 0.0001% THD - so you can radically downgrade the card if you like.

I'd suggest something like OPA1656's on breakout boards might suit it, that's giving 0.00003% THD, about 700 times less distortion than the Bursons, way way cheaper (even with a SOIC breakout board!)

THD is not all - 0.02% vs. 0.0001% vs. 0.00003% :confused:
Some like the sound of (triode) tubes - and they have a lot more of THD.
Or better, makes the even and the odds the difference?
What value of THD is still audible?

Honestly i'm more prone to the more clean, unmodified original sound instead some altered modified type. This doesn't exclude the fact that i'm going to compare both of them and then decide which one i prefer. I've found a good preassembled opa1612/opa1611 on audiophonics.fr and i read in the opamp discussion that the 1612/1611 technically are the best versions (am i wrong?)

Whats wrong with that?
Some people put sugar in the coffe, some don't.

Nothing but not really a good comparison. Some people put so much chocalate in there coffee its not coffee anymore, do people alter there sound so much its not recognizable? The OP probably couldn't tell the difference between those 5532s and the bursons in a proper blind test anyway (unless there unstable in that circuit).

The difference between the stock opamp and the burson is immense, how could someone not notice? it's like 120hz(not even 144hz) vs 240hz, only a deaf or an old person couldn't notice such big difference.
There's more noise and processing delay with the bursons on the ae9, you notice that if you turn up/down volume fast, there's skipping (tested on 2 different AE9) that on the stock opamps there aren't.
Bursons are alot more colorful and full but i never saw any datasheet of them or the stock ones, i just bought the most expensive ones and installed them on the AE9.
You could notice even more opamps differences because of the SBX that will help you notice alot more even subtle changes.
Now i'm really curious about the OPA1611/1612 but i'm still waiting someone that confirms they are a good choice over the OPA1656 (only for dual)

The difference between the stock opamp and the burson is immense, how could someone not notice? it's like 120hz(not even 144hz) vs 240hz, only a deaf or an old person couldn't notice such big difference.

There’s definitely a reason that they’re made the way they are, are definitely all about the sound.

If some can’t figure out why the numbers don’t add up, and can’t deal with it, then they shouldn’t use them, but also shouldn’t go around pooping on other’s preferences. Talking about microscope distortion levels is not going to change anything; those numbers alone just aren’t a very complete determination of a sound that appeals to many. And none of it is live music anyways, whichever op amp is used, right?

Glad you got the shell sorted out, and got them in place.

I'm replacing all the capacitors on the soundblaster ae9 with the same capacitance and higher voltages (ex. 10uf 50v -> 10uf 100v), probably i will fix the skipping problem because i've got the impression they are really power hungry.
(i'm absolutely not an expert in this segment but i'm trying to improve things)
I already soldered the Vivid V6 (single) directly to the pcb but i think i'll clean everything and make a better solder joints with the 5N silver cable.
I've actually removed all the standard pins and replaced them with OCC copper (0.5mm) for the connections and jointed with the oyaide ss solder.
Surely this is something like placebo levels but i like to have the best things if i can afford them or they are cheap enough to implement plus it's really fun to toy around with soldering/desoldering.

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Nothing but not really a good comparison. Some people put so much chocalate in there coffee its not coffee anymore, do people alter there sound so much its not recognizable? The OP probably couldn't tell the difference between those 5532s and the bursons in a proper blind test anyway (unless there unstable in that circuit).

Audio sound quality has very little to do with just distortion, you know.
Have you compared dac sound quality with various opamps?

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes, some people like to add effects boxes to there systems.

When do you realize that every piece of electronic is effect box.

There is no such thing as ideal preamp or ideal amp.
If you know about such device, please share. I am curious to know what electronics you have whuch does not qualify as effect box.
Please post your system. Including sources and speakers.

Even if the device has very low distortion, it does not mean it sounds good. Amps with extremely low distortion achieve that by strong negative feedback. Such amp sounds dead, cold and boring. Strong negative feedback kills musicality.
Amps with little feedback but relatively linear active devices sound way better in comparison. Even if they measure inferior.
I take effect box over your perfect amp anytime.
What is your perfect preamp and amp anyway.
Please tell.