Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

LM3886 availability
LM3886 availability
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st September 2021, 07:40 PM   #1
lauda is offline lauda  United States
diyAudio Member

Default LM3886 availability

Apologies in advance if this has been discussed elsewhere. If so, I wasn't able to find it.

Owing to the the Great Pandemic Availability Void, we're all used to parts being hard to find. But some things are faring far worse than others, and the LM3886 seems to be among those. The distributors I checked that have expected shipment dates don't show them being available again until around this time next year.

So, two questions:
  • Am I right in assuming that the LM3886 won't be available again for about a year, or does someone know something different?
  • Does anyone know why this part is being affected harder than most? This is mostly to satisfy personal curiosity.
Old 2nd September 2021, 10:17 AM   #2
NareshBrd is offline NareshBrd  India
diyAudio Member

It seems a lot of workers went home in the lock down, and found other work.
A lot of factories simply do not have the people in place, so priority is for bulk orders on contract, like auto components.
Maybe the volumes are not high enough for immediate production.

This is happening in all sectors, not just electronics.

I am facing a pickle shortage....one particular variety of mango pickle, made by a business known for its traditional quality, and I can get only 250 and not 500 gram packs.
And my pigment supplier in Mumbai has disappeared, no phones are working. No trace at all.
So grab what you can get, or find a substitute like the 7293/94 series, provided those are available...
You need new PCBs of course, it is not a direct replacement IIRC.
Or find an old second hand amp on sale.

Last edited by NareshBrd; 2nd September 2021 at 10:21 AM.
Old 2nd September 2021, 10:33 AM   #3
NareshBrd is offline NareshBrd  India
diyAudio Member

Try Panasonic chip amps, Philips used those in Indian sets.
Or ST, and others.
But trend is away from analog towards digital in the long term.
Substitute chips from branded sources work OK, but I would not know who will sell those to somebody in the USA, because of legal issues, they may not be fully legit.
Here in India Salcon is selling a complete 3886 stereo board ( no transformer ) for 1920 Rupees, $27 or so...

Last edited by NareshBrd; 2nd September 2021 at 10:38 AM.
Old 2nd September 2021, 11:29 AM   #4
Bone is offline Bone  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Also Vindaloo curry sauce is in very short supply in UK anyway
Old 2nd September 2021, 11:54 AM   #5
Dxvideo is offline Dxvideo  Turkey
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Dxvideo
Mouser has some TF's in stock;

https://www.mouser.com.tr/ProductDet...m0NUw7Ug%3D%3D
Old 2nd September 2021, 12:17 PM   #6
HumbleDeer is offline HumbleDeer  Belgium
diyAudio Member

How many do you need, of what model? I'll look through a junk bin and see if there's anything with one. Anything else as an alternative you're ok with?

Ordering on LCSC soon for the H2. If you're willing to cover the cost & effort, I can see what they have in bulk!
Old 2nd September 2021, 02:22 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dxvideo View Post

Sağol, Ozgur! I either missed these or they were recently added. TFs aren't RoHS, but I can certainly use them for design and development.
Old 2nd September 2021, 02:37 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleDeer View Post
How many do you need, of what model? I'll look through a junk bin and see if there's anything with one. Anything else as an alternative you're ok with?

Ordering on LCSC soon for the H2. If you're willing to cover the cost & effort, I can see what they have in bulk!
Thanks for the offer, but I think the availability Dxvideo pointed out is all I need short-term.

Longer term however I may pitch a design using the part to a company I provide consulting to. So, I'm more concerned about the stability of supply than immediate need. (I'll be reaching out to TI directly as things evolve.) The only suitable part I've found so far for the application is the LM3886.

LCSC was one of the vendors I checked, and I wasn't able to find availability there.
Old 2nd September 2021, 02:51 PM   #9
nirupambhowmick is offline nirupambhowmick  India
diyAudio Member

Very much available I believe it'll a decade or more to discontinue this excellent product.
Old 2nd September 2021, 04:31 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirupambhowmick View Post
Very much available I believe it'll a decade or more to discontinue this excellent product.
I too am reasonably confident that the part won't be discontinued soon. I'm also confident that once the supply chain issues that are currently plaguing the industry have been resolved, the part will have good availability. However, its availability for the next year from all appearances is terrible at best. It's this time frame that I'm concerned with.

LM3886 availabilityHide this!Advertise here!