LM3886 availability

What’s the matter, MJ15003s just cost too much?
Yes, of course.; U$5-7 each in argentina compared to U$1 .... a no brainer.

Even worse, supposedly ON/Motorola "MJ15003" here are definitely fake, while USHA 2N3055H in an unopened, slightly musty cardboard box can be trusted ... who would fake those? ;)

Worst case, when I need guaranteed transistors for repair work , I just order ON MJ1502x straight from Mouser and pay through the nose.
Ordering even 8 carries also a fixed U$35 "minimum freight bill" plus Customs and taxes, so my bottom cost is fixed U$60-70 plus actual part cost.

Acceptable for repairs where customer fronts the bill, not much for production where I have to be competitive , or else.

Almost forgot: a Chinese stuff importer pays Argentine Pesos A$ 120 per US dollar, I pay staggering 220 A$ a dollar so I have a staggering "citizen" tax, above everything else. :eek:

Now you know why I try to build in-house as much as I can and import as little as possible, usually nothing beyond semiconductors.

It is called "Dólar solidario"="Solidarity dollar", not kidding, the difference goes to pay for leftist Government "social plans".
It is very easy to become a philanthropist using somebody else´s money, don´t you think?

ArgenDolar.png

Solidarity my 4ss

Since then they removed the ability to backorder and say they don't know when they might be available again.

More honest than CPC Farnell who just keep pushing back the time when they say they'll have every month by a month.
Right now they say available on the 21st of this month but surely over the weekend they will change it to end of July.

You have no parts merchants in Argentina to supply to electronics goods makers like yourself, purchase from China and sell there?
If yes, they would pay 120 or 220 Pesos per Dollar?
There are, of course, and they DO pay 120 Pesos per dollar, BUT then they add their own (50% minimum) profit, plus all involved taxes, of course, from Customs Duty to 21% VAT to 6% Sales Tax plus anything else they fancy, so I end up paying double.

Only way to avoid that, or rather, minimize it (impossible to avoid since Customs are legally a Police Force, not kidding) is to become a Registered Importer myself, but it takes a long time, red tape, usually "knowing somebody" if you know what I mean.

Plan C which most use is to deal with certain "grey" companies.

You have product shipped to a warehouse in Miami, 1 week later it "appears" in another warehouse, now in Argentina, where I can pick it up paying a hefty fee.
How do they do it? ... who knows?
Questions meet blank stares and really, what for?
They set their fee, I pay it or not, my choice.

I guess MANY Countries around the World have similar systems, outside USA/Canada/UK/EU/Japan.

That´s why I typically design around what´s already available here, imported by many for resale and who compete with other importers, that lowers costs.

So, say, I use TL072 which 1000 guys bring in, standard transistors such as TIP142/147, plain vanilla caps (say Trec or Sancon and EPCOS being top of the line), generic 16mm Chinese pots, Cliff jacks knockoffs, generic knobs, etc.

In a nutshell: whatever is popular and widely used, best if generic, is cheap here, often only 20% above Mouser price; now whatever is custom order, say better Op Amps, best Electrolytics, Japanese transistors, specific Brand or Colour caps, anything "Audiophile" .... forget it.

But hey, been doing this for 50 years now, in a complicated economy, never ever worked for anybody, living only from what I can make and sell, and have grown quite a thick skin by now ;)

Like they say: "what does not kill you makes you stronger"

Hey! They even made a song about that :)

Here Customs and Central Excise, and GST officers have rank related powers of confiscation.
Container freight Mumbai to Colombo $35, from Colombo to Mumbai, $350!
India is a net importer, empties have to go back.
Think what is being shipped to Miami from north of you, and decide...the transport equipment is flying back empty...

We also have to jump through hoops to get Import/ Export codes, some agents do get around the paperwork. Again, don't ask questions is the working rule.

2N3055 60 cents here, good quality, not famous brand name.
TIP 41 must be 80 cents or less, have not asked, no need. ST, real..
TL072 must be 30 cents range. TI or similar.
All USD rates.

Reactions: 1 user
Rather than feeding the already serious firestorm between us and the fab, I simply filled out the predetermined test form showing excellent performance to all current drain, efficiency, and ESD specs, and failure of all others. I also included a cover sheet congratulating them for the performance on current drain, but stating that all the active RF specs "need major improvement."

This actually got more action than the previous firestorm because more than one metric (delivery time) was now in jeopardy of meeting the joint project goals.
This!! =)

I don't think Dr. Emmett Brown could have done it any better!

Closer to the main topic, the LM1876 (also TI Overture series but 20W) is showing 392 units available from Mouser, around 7 euro. Bridgeable. May be of use to someone here.

Reactions: 1 user