Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

High-quality portable system: where to start?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th June 2021, 12:32 AM   #11
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I don’t have room in my briefcase for batteries, but the small Class D (TI) chip amp plus a pair of uMar-Ken6, with either my Mac or iPhone as a source produces fantastic sound — even ignoring that it all fits in a haliburton briefcase.

It could run off batteries, or maybe even a solar panel.

dave
Old 10th June 2021, 01:33 AM   #12
gattu marrudu is offline gattu marrudu  United States
diyAudio Member

The Alpair 6-M look really nice and compact. Also, I found the thread on traveling speakers where you mention them. Nice thread. Thanks.

If I could splurge on the speakers I would look into the Audio Nirvana 8" which are much larger but also much more efficient than the Alpairs, so I could save on battery space & weight with a less hungry amp.

About the TI chipódo you have any schematics for a complete amp design?
Old 10th June 2021, 02:04 AM   #13
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Not really as efficient as claimed.

And that 8 actually has less potential bass extention that teh A6.2. At least based on the specs.

It is one that was a group but built by fellow in the Maritimes. 3118? A quality over quantity. I expect there are lots suitable out there.

dave
Old 10th June 2021, 05:20 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

OK, I found a pair of Alpair 7MS at a good price, which seem an improvement from the 6.2 which is categorized as a "near-field" speaker. I'll try to pair them up with a Tripath TA2024 (2 x 15W) and see how it fares in the open. The Alpairs are so small that I can easily build 2 small cabinets + an enclosure for the amp and battery, and arrange them apart for an actual stereo image.
Old 10th June 2021, 07:09 AM   #15
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The A7.3 neds twice the box volume.

millSize as opposed to microSize.

dave
Old 10th June 2021, 03:07 PM   #16
jjasniew is online now jjasniew  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gattu marrudu View Post
What about pairing a 15+15W T-Amp with a 90+db efficient two-way car speaker or even a full-range one?

The amp board needs 12V @2A so if I got the math right, the 8Ah e-bike battery that @jjasniew mentioned I should get about 4 hours usage at full blastócorrect?
Saw this in another thread; PRV Audio 10FR300PR 10" Professional Full-Range Speaker 8 Ohm

"Extremely efficient (100 dB) for high output without a lot of power" MMMmmmmm! That maybe makes your battery last longer than you (or anyone else) can dance. No need for tweeter / crossover too. $66 with free ship -

Maybe 8 Ohm is a problem. Oh well...
Old 10th June 2021, 03:26 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjasniew View Post
Sounds sweet, however 10" is too large for my project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
The A7.3 neds twice the box volume.
True. My reasoning was that I could start with a 7 mono. But I actually got a pair of 6M too since they are reasonably priced and I could always repurpose them.

The problem with the mono setup is that the board I got seems to not like mono wiring: T-Amp Tripath TA2024 2 x 15W Audio Digital Amplifier Board However I guess that could be resolved with a soldering iron... right?
Old 11th June 2021, 12:00 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Regarding batteries, would a car jump starter, e.g. this one, work as a power supply for the amp?

Maybe the term "jump starter" scares me a bit, and I see that that model can charge phones and tablets through the 5V USB port, but the 12V supply is for jump starting cars, so I wonder if I should worry about any power paks that may burn out my amp...
Old 11th June 2021, 03:46 AM   #19
jjasniew is online now jjasniew  United States
diyAudio Member

Directly connected, any 12V battery with the A-H rating you need for a good run-time has the capacity to burn up your amp. You have to protect it with a fuse. The advantage of the jump start kit is you can use it as a jump start for your car, when not using it to power your sound system. However,

I see it doesnt come with a charger, so no advantage there. They dont really say very clearly how the thing gets charged; "just use this or that". Ok, _how_? Through the USB port? Does it have a charging port? What kind of connector? Where do you get the cigarette lighter plug? Smells of "one time use" to me...

The jump cables have the "smart box", which doesnt electrically connect the jump starter battery unless it "sees" certain conditions (perhaps at least some voltage on the "dead" car battery), so you'll have to engineer a way around that (even if it's just cut-off that part from the jump cable set... Before wiring to your amplifier through a fuse of a couple-few amp rating.)

You could probably make it work. 6A-H would run your amp for some time. $30 is pretty good - but be careful; there's a lot of energy in it as an obviously cheaply made piece. I've read at least one customer review where one of these glove box jump start devices burned up spontaneously on his cement garage floor. He showed an after picture...

Of course, the ebay Lithium battery as a component could start a fire too, but at least the ownership there is on you (how thoughtfully you connect wires to it, how you charge it, etc) and not some random manufacturer in China cranking 'em out for $15-$20 a pop.

I mean it'll probably be OK - but there's some things to consider. Err on the side of caution. Maybe one of the jump start kits with a 12V lead acid battery - if they even still make them anymore since these miniature Lithium ones came along - would be safer.

Last edited by jjasniew; 11th June 2021 at 03:59 AM.
Old 11th June 2021, 05:39 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

The description says that it charges via the USB port, and has

Quote:
Protection features: spark proof protection, reverse polarity protection, short circuit protection, over current protection, over discharge protection, over charge protection, self-discharging protection and over-heat protection
But of course, one can't be safe enough and your suggestion about a fuse is well taken.

Also, good point about some possible mechanism that doesn't allow me to feed the amp from the jumpstart contacts.

High-quality portable system: where to start?Hide this!Advertise here!