LM3886 PA150 oscillates !!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I bought 2 PCB to build 2 pa150 boards (see attached picture)

Every component comes from Mouser

Resistors for gain are 0,6W 0,1% 20kR and 1kR

47pF have been replaced by 8pF

Only one side is filled with 2 caps Panasonic 2200uF

22uF // 1uF are soldered directly at the rear pins of the 2 rails of the 3 LM3886

Thiele network have been added - soldered on the side of the speaker connector (not on PCB side)

The 3 pots has been well adjusted

10uf has been put for the input cap

PSU with toroid transformer 2x25V with secondaries decoupled with 100nF, 2 bridge rectifiers KBPC5010, 4x 22000uf caps, 2 5,6kR bleeding resistors.

I thought it was a pretty perfect setup, but no:(. When there is no source connected to one PA150, it starts to oscillate - and I cannot know why :confused:

Help !!!!

Many thanks,

Guillaume

Attachments

• pa150 PCB.JPG
    pa150 PCB.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 320
I think it needs an opamp buffer on the input to stabilize it and cancel the inversion?

You can then lower the feedback network resistor values to improve the noise performance too. The 10k/200k values are only there so the input impedance isn't lower than the accepted minimum recommended impedance for an audio power amp. However paralleling 3 of them makes the input impedance actually 3k3, which is very low. And there's a (cargo-cult ?) 47k load resistor on the input too to lower the impedance a little bit further?

All in all using an inverting topology is problematic in a power amp.

Last edited:
So now your input impedance is somewhere around 330 ohms.
On top of that, the 50k pot is now just an open circuit as far as the amp is concerned when set higher than the feedback resistor.
Your output filter network is incorrect as well, and the 8pf cap is too small.
Basically the entire circuit is junk.
And Mark is right, making this an inverting topology is just wrong.
Get the LM3886 data sheet to see how it should be done.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I think it needs an opamp buffer on the input to stabilize it and cancel the inversion?....

Why stop there? We can add more complication.

The original design is revealed later. TWO of these were worked Bridge Mode, originally with a balanced-output chip. Which would supply the low source Z needed to be stable open-input. (And is yet more complication.)

Also the "designer" of this amp seems to have these oscillations, why else would he need to solder the decoupling caps onto the bottom.

Keep them there but remove C3,6,8.

the 8p can be increased to 15p but not much more
R8 change to 1 ohm 2W better 5W
Try all these steps 1 by 1 and see the outcome.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.