Hardwired LM1875 from ALiexpress

It looks cool but if an LM1875 ever needs replacement it becomes a throw-away.

what becomes a throw away the whole amplifier because you think or suspect the LM1875 is pirated clone or an inferior chipset.
OR
the suspected LM1875 is a throwaway in the first instance without actually knowing for sure it is pirated.

The way I think about this is that if the whole amp does sound any good compared to my LM3886 then buy a genuine pair of LM1875 and replace them what is so hard? and a genuine LM1875 pair is dirt cheap as well, do you know long it takes to hardwired a whole amp., Labour Cost plus material my friend? Do you have the patience to wire them yourself?

what becomes a throw away the whole amplifier because you think or suspect the LM1875 is pirated clone or an inferior chipset.
OR
the suspected LM1875 is a throwaway in the first instance without actually knowing for sure it is pirated.

The way I think about this is that if the whole amp does sound any good compared to my LM3886 then buy a genuine pair of LM1875 and replace them what is so hard? and a genuine LM1875 pair is dirt cheap as well, do you know long it takes to hardwired a whole amp., Labour Cost plus material my friend? Do you have the patience to wire them yourself?

I look at from the standpoint you can get another unit for $40. I value my time as a tech at $50/hour. If it takes
more than an hour to replace the part it's more cost effective to replace the entire unit. It would be rather tedious
to change the part and still have it look as neat as it was.

My old ears are just fine with class-D so my 5.1 TV project includes a 6 channel TPA-3116 board. No more
class-AB amps in my future.

I look at from the standpoint you can get another unit for $40. I value my time as a tech at $50/hour. If it takes
more than an hour to replace the part it's more cost effective to replace the entire unit. It would be rather tedious
to change the part and still have it look as neat as it was.

My old ears are just fine with class-D so my 5.1 TV project includes a 6 channel TPA-3116 board. No more
class-AB amps in my future.

you may enjoy your class D amp., but most users will tell you that in terms of sound quality in the freq. range, within the mid-range to highs, an ordinary Class AB or a cheap Chipamp will outperform a cheap or mid-price Class D or T amp anytime, only an expensive class D will outperform a mid-price Class AB amp.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
That last statement is likely very true in general. If takes some skill and finese to remove the HF grunge that is in every ClassD amplifier (ie its principal of operation).

Of course execution is very important. I fully expect that a very well implemented Class D chip can outperform a (near) Class B chipamp. And my PP EL84 (surprisingly) comes VERY close to my SIT-3. We can talk generalizations but what is actually built has to be evaluated in its own right.

I have nice Class A, Class AB, (near) Class B, and Class D. Each has its assets.

dave

That last statement is likely very true in general. If takes some skill and finese to remove the HF grunge that is in every ClassD amplifier (ie its principal of operation).

Of course execution is very important. I fully expect that a very well implemented Class D chip can outperform a (near) Class B chipamp. And my PP EL84 (surprisingly) comes VERY close to my SIT-3. We can talk generalizations but what is actually built has to be evaluated in its own right.

I have nice Class A, Class AB, (near) Class B, and Class D. Each has its assets.

dave

It helps when hearing cutoff is around 14-15 kHz. Oddly, I can tell the difference between music that
has been LP filtered to 16 kHz. Hey, I listened to pretty loud music in my mis-spent youth and am now 68.

New Image

The unit I bought. See the hardwired LM1875, the image below.

I thought I will give you guys the update of the Hardwired LM1875 module I bought for 2 channels.

It arrived many weeks ago now I manage to put it together in a testbed. See the image below, it's for testing purposes only. If it sounds good I will put it in a proper case.

Comments:

1. Powered up with about 17Vac--0--17Vac. First up no problem and I can hear music.

2. Sound seems ok, so far no distortions for the time being no critical listening as yet, I bought to replace my Tube EL84 which generates about roughly the same power, 12-15Watts per channel.

3. I am using this amp to drive a tweeter or a low-powered full ranger in an active DSP x-over configuration.

4. Note that the coupling capacitor is a large red cap., and also the bypass cap both can be bypassed in another LM3886 chip amp. Because of the input Offset voltage, I will get an output offset whether it is acceptable I yet to find out.

5. After testing and listening I will come back to advise you whether it is worth buying. I won't give you a blow by blow updates.

Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• IMG_20210425_145440.jpg
    IMG_20210425_145440.jpg
    488.7 KB · Views: 362
Last edited:
Just completed my hardwired amp. just a little slack lately. Haven't evaluated the module for sound quality yet.
I thought you may like to see a few images, the power transformer is mounted in a separate box. The size of amp module in wooden box is about (W*H*D) is 16*7*13.5 in cm. Looks cute.

Attachments

• IMG_20210717_151041.jpg
    IMG_20210717_151041.jpg
    493.4 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_20210722_165626.jpg
    IMG_20210722_165626.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_20210722_165631.jpg
    IMG_20210722_165631.jpg
    337.1 KB · Views: 239
Here's some of mine. Of course it sings. For the moment I won't share pics of the completed amplifier though. :D

Local decoupling capacitors closest to the pins are no exception as well. I put 100nF foils, and the electrolytics are two fingerbreadths away.

Last edited:
Just completed my hardwired amp. just a little slack lately. Haven't evaluated the module for sound quality yet.
I thought you may like to see a few images, the power transformer is mounted in a separate box. The size of amp module in wooden box is about (W*H*D) is 16*7*13.5 in cm. Looks cute.

Curious that..
IMO THE main attraction of that Amp is it's striking visuals.

Burying it in a wooden box.. IMO, defeats any reason for owning it.

I have this board since 2 years and it's my daily amp (8 to 12 hours a day when home) for streaming music. For 40$ it's a real bargain.
On my Triangle Comete EZ it simply outperform the Exposure 2010S2 that I sold...I have quite small room and the Trangle are easy to feed but I was very surprised by the musicality of this cheap board. More organic more presence on voice more fluidity the Exposure has more weight and impact on bass and can play much louder but as I'm mostly listening at moderate volume...Changing the caps make a huge difference more obvious than on my tripath amps and I would like to change the 4x 25v 3300uf ( can I put the Nover 35V 10000µF ?) and the 4 silver chimical caps (what value can't read anything on) the pot is bypassed and I use a Korato KVP 20 tube preamp or 100k 24 steps attenuator in passive mode

DSC06570.JPG

Attachments

• DSC06571.JPG
    DSC06571.JPG
    206.2 KB · Views: 46
Last edited by a moderator: