Decoupled rectifiers- yes or no?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What are your subjective experience with decoupling the rectifier diodes? I dont mean a snubber across the secondary but rather a cap across each diode. With 1nf mkt caps across the silicon diodes im using to feed my 1875 amp, i notice a significant difference in the sound. With the decoupling in place the sound is heavier, darker (less treble energy) and the sound stage more closed in. Without the decoupling i get most of the lost ambience back but knowing that much of its sound character could be due to the unfiltered harmonics of the diodes i cannot decide which configuration is a superior

It doesn't matter whether you put individual caps on each diode or one cap across the transformer secondary. The purpose of the cap(s) is to eliminate the ringing of the parasitic inductor in the secondary circuit when the diodes turn off. A C-only snubber will reduce the frequency of the ringing to the point where it no longer couples effectively into sensitive audio circuits. To actually dampen out the ringing, you need an RC snubber.

There are other considerations as well, including selecting the right diode type for rectification.

I write quite a bit about rectification and snubbers here: Taming the LM3886 Chip Amplifier: Rectification and Snubbers – Neurochrome

Tom

I'm aware of that. Did you read the article I linked to in Post #9?

The issue is that the parasitics in the secondary circuit of the power transformer will resonate when the diodes turn off. You can add an RC anywhere in the secondary circuit as long as it ends up in parallel with the secondary winding of the transformer. The parasitics are distributed, not lumped components.

Tom

I'm aware of that. Did you read the article I linked to in Post #9?
Yes, of cause. I just want to add that parasitic ringing described in your article is not the the only process going in a power lines circuit.
I'm talking about another fact that power lines act as antenna (at HF). And we don't want this antenna to be 'blinking' (to be modulated) by diodes when they turning on and off. That's why we may put a path for HF frequency with small caps so 'antenna' was always 'connected' through caps (but not 50/100 Hz blinking). Or we may use common mode filters (ferrite chokes) to get rid of this 'antenna' (or to lower an effect).

Here is a good collection (Post #15) of all the possible answers.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.