LM1875 Heatsink Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There is at least 10 different parameters that are important for how efficient a heatsink is in removing heat and for how much heat your LM1875 produces. It is a bit like asking: "I want to make a tent, how much clothes should I buy?".
If you show us the cooling profile with the most basic dimensions, we can give you an idea.

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
You can get away with quite a small heatsink if you do not run it too hard. This is average size...

Attachments

• lm1875-22w.jpg
    lm1875-22w.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 285
Heat sink sizing is not trivial. You must consider the kelvin per watt rise of the heat sink, ambient temperature, air flow (inside a case will have worse air flow over the fins than external) and thermal conductivity from the chip to the HS. Having the HS not exceeding 60 Deg C. and using mica insulators is a good design. Avoid the rubber "sil pad" insulators as their thermal conductivity is worse.

To cut to the chase, a 11.5 x 5 high with 15 4 (cm) deep fins seem to work well keeping my amps cool for my listening use with ample margin. Remember no HS is too large. I always see people using too small HS sizes or orienting the fins in a non optimal way.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.