Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

2 lm3886 for 120w in 4ohm load
2 lm3886 for 120w in 4ohm load
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2004, 11:51 AM   #1
audioloud is offline audioloud  France
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: PARIS
Smile 2 lm3886 for 120w in 4ohm load

hhiiiiiiii
i m looking for building a 120w power amp in 4 ohm load
this for a sub.
i plan to use 2 lm3886 in the bridged _parallel configguration
but i have one problem.
i don't handerstand how conect it to the speaker. circuit designs on the net contradict themself :
some conect one pin of the speaker to the output of the amp and the second to the ground.
And others conect each pin of the speaker to each output of the 2 chips.
and here im lost. does everyone could explain me the good way to act in that case..
__________________
quand le bricolage va....
or do it yourself to be free
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2004, 11:14 PM   #2
carlmart is offline carlmart  Brazil
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Brazil
Default Re: 2 lm3886 for 120w in 4ohm load

Quote:
Originally posted by audioloud
hhiiiiiiii
i m looking for building a 120w power amp in 4 ohm load
this for a sub.
i plan to use 2 lm3886 in the bridged _parallel configguration
but i have one problem.
i don't handerstand how conect it to the speaker. circuit designs on the net contradict themself :
some conect one pin of the speaker to the output of the amp and the second to the ground.
And others conect each pin of the speaker to each output of the 2 chips.
and here im lost. does everyone could explain me the good way to act in that case..
A bridged amp's output are ALWAYS the output of each amp, the one fed with the non-inverted input goes the speaker's positive and the one fed from the inverted output goes to the speaker's negative end.

If you wire a speaker between one of the amp's outputs and ground you are just using a single amp, not the bridge. If you wire different speakers to each amp you will be feeding out of phase signals to them and cause a quite strange sound effect. nulling most of the sound if they are close by.


Carlos
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2004, 11:20 PM   #3
thomas997 is offline thomas997  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
thomas997's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Vancouver
Could someone post a circuit for what he is asking for?

I am interested as well.

thanks
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2004, 11:26 PM   #4
officeboy is offline officeboy  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NW Washington
Send a message via MSN to officeboy
I think the confusion here is the difference between bridged and paralleled, if you build a bridged parallel LM3886 you need a minimum of 4 chips.

For a pair of parallel chips, you would basically just tie the outputs of to identical chips together and it would allow you to double the currant (good for a low resistance load like you have)

For bridged chips you tie the non-inverting output of one chip and the inverting output of another chip to each lead on a speaker. This gives you a higher potential for voltage and is better for a high resistance speaker (not good for your 4ohm unit)

For a 2 chip-amp amp I would suggest a parallel connection

You might also want to review AN-1192.pdf from National if you havenít already
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2004, 11:28 PM   #5
officeboy is offline officeboy  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NW Washington
Send a message via MSN to officeboy
Quote:
Originally posted by thomas997
Could someone post a circuit for what he is asking for?
I am interested as well.
thanks
Grab http://www.national.com/an/AN/AN-1192.pdf and check page 7.
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2004, 12:24 AM   #6
thomas997 is offline thomas997  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
thomas997's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Vancouver
Quote:
Originally posted by officeboy


Grab http://www.national.com/an/AN/AN-1192.pdf and check page 7.

thanks
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2004, 03:08 PM   #7
audioloud is offline audioloud  France
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: PARIS
ok
now it's clear for me the difference between the two configuration
The pdf that you posted has a deep wealth of information.
4 chips to get a 200w power amp !ok
I'll use 2 in parallel only .
thanks to you all .if you have any advice ...tell me!
AUDIOLOUD
__________________
quand le bricolage va....
or do it yourself to be free
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2004, 11:44 AM   #8
audioloud is offline audioloud  France
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: PARIS
I currently own a paire of two tda7293
can i replace the two lm3886 by these amp in the paralel config?
I heard that tda is not good enough for bass.
It reduce them at hight power .and i need it for my subwoofer!
tell me what you think of this ...
please.
__________________
quand le bricolage va....
or do it yourself to be free
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2004, 04:42 PM   #9
mrlots2do is offline mrlots2do  United States
diyAudio Member
 
mrlots2do's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Philadelpia
Quote:
Originally posted by officeboy
I think the confusion here is the difference between bridged and paralleled, if you build a bridged parallel LM3886 you need a minimum of 4 chips.

For a pair of parallel chips, you would basically just tie the outputs of to identical chips together and it would allow you to double the currant (good for a low resistance load like you have)

For bridged chips you tie the non-inverting output of one chip and the inverting output of another chip to each lead on a speaker. This gives you a higher potential for voltage and is better for a high resistance speaker (not good for your 4ohm unit)

For a 2 chip-amp amp I would suggest a parallel connection

You might also want to review AN-1192.pdf from National if you havenít already
Are bridged amp chips a better application than if paralleled.

I'm thinking yes because the non-inverted chip drives cone outward and inverted chip drives cone inward. Doing so, wouldn't the sound be more crisp (short and exact)?

Is my thinking correct here. Two parallel chips (LM3875) would handle 132 watts@8ohms. Two bridged chips (LM3875) would still handle 68 watts@8ohms.

How is bridged/parallel chips better application? Four bridged/paralleled chips (LM3875) would handle 132 watts@8ohms or ??? watts@4ohms. What else? My interest here is using best application for a WtmW with active crossover

Thanks
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2004, 05:23 PM   #10
joensd is offline joensd  Germany
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Germany
Paralleling 3 LM3886 for a 4Ohm load should be enough for your power levels.
Have a look at the spreadsheet that calculates everything for you.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...ht=spreadsheet
__________________
jens
  Reply With Quote

Reply


2 lm3886 for 120w in 4ohm loadHide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DYNACO 120W AMP for DYNA A-451 edrel sison Tubes / Valves 32 26th January 2011 02:24 AM
Laptop 90W-120W? di4kata Power Supplies 13 4th May 2006 01:22 PM
120W MOSFET amp. Lamicz Solid State 8 26th January 2006 04:37 PM
LM3886 gain clone vs STK4048XI for 4 ohm load filgor Chip Amps 0 25th September 2004 12:05 PM
Need 4ohm load clayton Car Audio 6 31st May 2004 11:25 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:29 PM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 15.79%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2020 diyAudio
Wiki